JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thing that gets me down about red dots is the fact that, for the price, I want a little more than a one trick pony. I know you can't get everything you want from an optic, but for $500+ I feel a little entitled to more than a red dot. What interests me about this
Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24mm for example, is the fact that I can have the illuminated sight picture of a red dot, plus the option of increasing magnification. I like the idea that if the red dot ever 'goes' i still have an adjustable scope from 1-4X magnification. Am I missing something when it comes to these close quarter scopes, because for me, I'm thinking they are a great way to go. What do you guys think. As someone with zero 'tactical' experience, my opinion means nothing to me.
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 Riflescope FREE S&H PST-14ST-A, PST-14ST-M. Vortex Rifle Scopes.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. $400+ red dots/holos are built for abuse in adverse field conditions. It sounds like you aren't in that demographic, so the "value line" of scopes and red dots/holos, etc. are (for the most part) fine for "casual" users, and "bench shooters" who only carry their kit in a padded case to and from the trunk of their car.

In the last defensive rifle class I took, the drills ranged from point blank contact to 150 yards. The Aimpoint certainly held their own, although they did better in drills at <25 yards. A lot of this had to do with the size of the dot. The 2MOA was a bit better than the 4MOA. They were also a split second quicker at short distances. The people running low power scopes held their own at short distances, but really started to shine as engagement distances were pushed back. After having gone through the class with iron sights after my EOtech failed (never again, no more EOtech), I will probably put a low powered scope on my AR. My preference in for either the new generation of Mark AR 1-5 or the VX-R with the firedot. Paired with a LaRue, Leupold, or ADM mount, I think it's a pretty good system. Make sure you have room for a back-up iron under the scope. Less chance of the scope failing, but still.

Disclaimer: I am not an "operator". I have no desire to be nor will I ever make a claim to be an "operator". I am simply a civilian who has been lucky enough to take some excellent classes from some top instructors. I enjoy shooting. I enjoy being competent with the guns in my safe. If someone with actual "experience" pipes up and makes a point that more closely relates to your situation, by all means take it. The experience I shared works for me. Good luck!

"My preference in for either the new generation of Mark AR 1-5 or the VX-R with the firedot."

Second that! I have the Leupold Mark AR MOD 1.5-4 with a leupold IMS mount and it's freaking awesome. I also had an EoTech originally (which failed), which is why i decided that i do not ever want to be in a position where i have to rely on a battery. The Mark AR has the firedot, but also you can see the "normal" reticle without it being on or if the battery is dead.

In the last defensive rifle class I took, the drills ranged from point blank contact to 150 yards. The Aimpoint certainly held their own, although they did better in drills at <25 yards. A lot of this had to do with the size of the dot. The 2MOA was a bit better than the 4MOA. They were also a split second quicker at short distances. The people running low power scopes held their own at short distances, but really started to shine as engagement distances were pushed back. After having gone through the class with iron sights after my EOtech failed (never again, no more EOtech), I will probably put a low powered scope on my AR. My preference in for either the new generation of Mark AR 1-5 or the VX-R with the firedot. Paired with a LaRue, Leupold, or ADM mount, I think it's a pretty good system. Make sure you have room for a back-up iron under the scope. Less chance of the scope failing, but still.

Disclaimer: I am not an "operator". I have no desire to be nor will I ever make a claim to be an "operator". I am simply a civilian who has been lucky enough to take some excellent classes from some top instructors. I enjoy shooting. I enjoy being competent with the guns in my safe. If someone with actual "experience" pipes up and makes a point that more closely relates to your situation, by all means take it. The experience I shared works for me. Good luck!

Most helpful response I have ever received on this forum. thank you so much. This helped me with my decision tremulously.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top