1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Accuracy on 10/22 takedown

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Liberty97045, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

My recent impulse purchase was the Olympic shooting team edition of the 10/22 take down. At 50 yards I have been unable to get reasonable accuracy. Just when I think I've got it, everything goes to hell again. I have a Nikon P-22 scope with Leupold quick rings. Scope & rings are tight and I have tried different adjustments of the joining nut. I have used two different kinds of Remington ammo that shoot Ok in my other 10/22.
    Are the takedowns inherently less accurate that their fixed barrel siblings?
    I am already planning on trying better ammo next time I am out but is there something else that I can try before I give up on it?
  2. markpeters1970

markpeters1970 PNW Active Member

I hear that finding the proper position for the barrel lock ring can play a big deal in accuracy, also ammunition selection is key.

Keep us posted, I am thinking of getting one but accuracy is critical.

3. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have one with a cheepo reddot mounted. Has excellent accuracy, even when I break it down and reassemble. Most of my shooting has been at 25 yards and i'm getting a 1/2" hole plus or minus a sixteenth. The reddot is kinda lame and a scope would do better I'm sure. My ammo is a mixed bunch, Remington Golden, Federal, CCI Maxi, I seem to get the best results with CCI.
  4. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

My TD is plenty accurate with Federal Bulk. One ragged hole with iron sights in sitting position at 50 feet. Never tried it on the bench.

Ruger recommends hand-tightening the barrel lock ring, remove the barrel, then tighten 2 more clicks. Mine is 100% rock solid with that procedure.