JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need one.
Which company makes the best. Within reason on price. My biggest question is, for rats do any of you range the rat even it's 100 yards? And dial the scope? Or just point and shoot at 50-175 yards?

I just ordered a .17 HMR barrel kit for my new CZ 455 standard, currently sporting a .22 lr barrel. If the .17HMR barrel shoots anywhere close to the consistency of the .22 with CCI standard velocity ammo, I will be thrilled. ( and might make my Savage 93R 17TR expendable).
I don't bother twisting turrets on my current .17HMR. Just adjust the objective to get a clear sight picture and hold based on estimated range on the gopher (sage rat, ground squirrel, or whatever you choose to call those little digging rodents). The .17HMR shoots very flat at extended range compared to the .22 long rifle. We usually range after the shot. My son's longest ranged was 178 yards, while mine was 147 (old eyes).

I need one.
Which company makes the best. Within reason on price. My biggest question is, for rats do any of you range the rat even it's 100 yards? And dial the scope? Or just point and shoot at 50-175 yards?
Savage B-17 FV SR

Pretty much put the crosshairs on the squirrels head up to 200 yards.

Haven't missed a squirrel with this rifle yet, haven't not killed it cleanly with a single shot yet.

Absolutely devastating varmint rifle.

Savage B-17 FV SR

Pretty much put the crosshairs on the squirrels head up to 200 yards.

Haven't missed a squirrel with this rifle yet, haven't not killed it cleanly with a single shot yet.

Absolutely devastating varmint rifle.

I'm gonna look at one of these. I still haven't bought a .17 but I've got an itch to scratch. :)

Tikka T1x or CZ are going to be your best bang for the buck. If you want a nice walnut and blued steel rifle that feels like a traditional American scoped hunting rifle get yourself a CZ452, CZ455 or CZ457 American model. I have two CZ American's a 452 and 455 in 22lr and both shoot lights out. I also have a CZ455 American in 17HMR in the stainless/synthetic configuration, shoots single hole 5-shot groups at 50 yards and well under at dime at 100 yards. It is my go to knock around gun for sage rats and vermin on the property: CZ 455 American Stainless Synthetic - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA They are discontinued but you should still be able to get one ordered up.

I just picked up a Tikka T1x and it is a nice rifle and I think I will really enjoy it but I have not had a chance to shoot it yet and can't give any more feedback. @pharmseller has a T1x and has been smacking the sage rats with it. I believe he has a thread on here for the T1x he purchased and the resulting carnage.

I had my heart set on a T1x but after handling it I decided not to buy. Too small for me. :(

Correct, 17hmr is a necked down 22 magnum.

Regarding barrel swapping on the CZ's the 452 is a no go, traditional screw in barrel. The 455 is setup to swap barrels. I am sure there are numerous videos on youtube on the process. I know for myself I would never end up swapping barrels, then you have to zero the scope, buy a second set of mags, etc.... I figure after all is said and done you have over half the cost of a new rifle to be able to swap barrels.

The new CZ457 can swap barrels also.

There are three HMR variants that I have experience with that make GREAT shooters.

1: Marlin 917
2: Savage 93R
3: Recently my experience with the Ruger Precision in .17 was not disappointing.

My first was the Marlin, it lacked an adjustable trigger 10+ years ago that the Savage had when it was replaced. I would shoot .22 cases at 100y using a BSA Sweet-17 scope.

The Savage did all the Marlin did but the magazines sometimes had to be held at the right angle to feed a round. Sometimes they didn't catch the lip/rim. It had the adjustable trigger so that was a bonus over the Marlin. Now the one in the safe lacks something, so it doesn't get used.

The recent adoptee Ruger has outperformed the Marlin and Savage due to the rotary and reliable box magazine, the adjustable trigger, customizable stock to fit me and it's threaded...... likes Winchester 17gr's right now.

one of my first outings with the Savage a few years ago; 5 shots on windy day at 50 yards:

upload_2019-5-1_18-55-5.jpeg

one of these:
1256107.png

Heck yea you should buy that Volquartsen if you want it. You get what you pay for in those high end rimfires. Ive been using the same Marlin 917 stainless/laminated for 6 yrs. It puts any tipped 17 gr. into small groups at 75 yds. Trigger could be better and the action could be smoother but for what it does (exclusively on Squirrels at 25 to 175) its a great tool. If you get a super accurate gun "holdovers" become insignificant........Whatever you get try for the best trigger you can get. Even if its more $ for an aftermarket trigger do it. You will never regret a super crisp, light trigger for varmints.

This is my first real sage rat rifle. Ruger 17 HMR with a fine crosshair Sightron SII 4.5-14x scope sighted in so it is dead on from 50 to 125 yards...beyond that I have to hold over. I've owned a couple other 17 HMR rifles but have sold the others. Accuracy is probably MOA on a good day, but out to 150 on sage rats that works provided the wind doesn't get you.

This rifle is typical Ruger quality, and handles like a full size center fire. I practice with it a lot sitting, kneeling, and standing to perfect my deer shooting techniques.

DSC_1778.JPG

I had my heart set on a T1x but after handling it I decided not to buy. Too small for me. :(

If you want a big boy stock, exc adj trigger and accuracy all together handle a Sako Finnfire ll. Same stock feel as their short action centerfires.

Hard to argue with any CZ, I'd get the varmint barrel rather than the sporter. 17's will heat the barrel some. If you're lucky enough to find a 452 varmint buy it.

Most all of them have decent barrels and shoot great, including the <$200 marlins, savages, etc. In the more expensive ones you pay more $$ for the rest of the rifle, finish, stock, trigger, etc. Just a matter of what you like and want to spend.

To the OP on ranging and twisting knobs, I don't. It's good practice on ranging without a rangefinder, hold over and into the wind. Way more than half the fun for me!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads