JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I swung by Cabelas gun room on Saturday and found a Savage 99E, .308, made in 1967 with a Nikon scope for… $99! The stock had been cut down for a kid and it has seen lots of use. I figured with a $150 scope the rifle was free. My grandpa born in 1899 carried one in his saddle scabbard when he worked on a ranch in the Dakotas. Said it was his favorite rifle. I will fix this one up and it will be carried by my grandkids ages 12-1, 9 of them. I'll teach my 12 year old how to reload reduced loads as a fun project together . I'll post progress along the way.

IMG_1883.png IMG_1884.png IMG_1870.jpeg IMG_1868.jpeg IMG_1860.jpeg

It turned out quite nice. Stripped, sanded, walnut stain, Watco Danish, cleaned and oiled all the metal, put on a vintage military sling, new higher mounts for the scope (bell was resting on the barrel when I got it!). I will load up some low recoil 110gr and it will be a fun gun for my grandkids to hunt with.

IMG_1982.jpg IMG_1983.jpg

Boy, this looks familiar!
My wife has a near identical gun in 243. We also had her dad's 308 for a while. When elk season came, I swapped the short butt to the 308, then back to the 243 for the nest deer season.
I refinished the wood, but didn't stain it because she really liked the shade and the contrast with the "checkering" after being stripped. I added fitted a new recoil pad and the scope from her dad's 308.
Sorry for the crappy pic. It's the only one I could find with the gun solo.

Lindas 243.jpeg

Wow that's a dam deal! Guess I better start paying closer attention when I go in the big box stores that sell used guns. Did someone make a mistake on the price?
No it was rough. I actually did the paperwork with the guy who brought it in. It came in with 20 guns and he didn't want to lose the lot for this beater. So he took it in and priced it to sell.

The nice thing is that as the kid gets older, you can put increasingly thick recoil pads on it to keep the length of pull matched to his needs. They can always be removed to return it to the short LOP.

Nice job on the resurrection!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads