JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I already have three upgraded Mossberg 500's (metal trigger groups and metal tang safety levers) identically kitted up in "combat" configuration and don't feel the need to invest in any 590 goodness, I thought it through a little bit and decided to do a little work on one of mine to see if I could kit one up to mount a bayonet on it without it looking like a crappy bolt-on "afterthought" contraption. I selected the one on the far right that has the newer style barrel nut that is a wee bit thicker than the two older style ones to the left.
image.jpg

I took out the barrel nut and turned the front portion of it down in my drill press using (sacrificing actually) a flat mill (aka bastard) file to the proper diameter of the bayonet's barrel mount, while leaving enough of the knurling so you can still twist it off by hand without tools. This is the ONLY permanent modification in the entire project, and if you screw it up you can get a new one online for cheap... low risk operation.
image.jpg

I was going to completely fab the rear mounting lug from all the sheite I have in my scrap brick-a-brak stuff behind my workshop, but I found the perfectly configured "doo-dad" online for $20 that solved the mag-tube mounting method, front sling mount point, and "sleeknes" concerns I was wrestling with. The bonus was it has two small very low-profile pic-rails (one on either side) to mount a light to if I want, yet not be a snag point should I leave them empty... BRILLIANT!
image.jpg

With a dab of blue loctite on the bolts/screws of the rear lug, the whole thing is rock-frikin'-solid and looks as close to "factory purposed" as a garage malcontent and his M500 can get, as well as still be field stripped w/o tools. Just try and wrestle this pig out of someone's hands now!! o_O:D
image.jpg

Last Edited:
Nice mod. For folks without a drill press/lathe, there's this bolt-on thing from Amazon.com ---> http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gear-Mossberg-Securing/dp/B00U856TPM

LOL... THAT'S the kit I bought (after I turned down the barrel nut), but didn't care for the front-end assembly (which I didn't need anyway).

I'm going to do this mod to my remaining two M500's. The cool part is, I have it rigged so that Amazon.com makes a donation to Oregon Firearms Education Foundation (aka OFF) every time I make a purchase on their website... Win-Win.... LOL

Last Edited:
Jeez guys, just how far do you think shot (of any size) spreads out within the first 12" of its trajectory, even with a cylinder bore? (hint... it ain't much ;) )

LMAO

Hopefully mine came across with sarcasm;).

I'm starting to think about the cattle prod thing though... I'd name her Shocky:D

why you have 3 of them? One on each floor of the house, or what's the rationale?

Because... one is none, two is one, and three is glee. o_O

Actually, I bought the one on the left back in '90 (or so) just like you see it. The one in the middle was a used 26" barreled bird gun (originally) that I bought in '10 (or so) for duck/goose hunting, but have since bought a Weatherby SA-08 for that purpose. The one on the right was given to me by my dad (sans the heat shield and speed-feed stock) a couple years ago as he couldn't use it anymore.

That being said, in another thread where I posted these I mentioned I'm not the only capable defender in my household, and I can whip them out of the gun safe (I maintain control of them) and issue them to my "wingmen" in a SHTF situation.

So like I said... one is none, two is one, and three is glee. o_O:D