JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you are asking if you can run a standard AR Upper with a 9mm barrel and bolt and have it run smoothly? I asked the same question on another forum and got the answer that it would work. You will have an extra hole up front for the non-existent gas tube, no brass deflector, larger than necessary ejection port, and a non-functioning forward assist. I went ahead and bought a 9mm upper not too much extra money ($35 extra) and no extra holes.:s0155:

So title basically says it all will it be smooth like butter or would it cause all kinds of trouble?

Probally a RRA 9mm hammer and a 8.5 ounce 9mm buffer

Let me know what you think?

Steven

I don't know about the whole 9mm hammer situation. Some say good, some say bad, either way...I don't know.

With that heavy of a buffer, you'll likely be short stroking unless it's suppressed. So, grab a regular carbine or H buffer for use with the 5.56.

Let me clear it up a bit. a complete standard 5.56 upper nothing to do with 9mm at all on a standard lower but with a 9mm hammer and heavy buffer.

Sounds like a second buffer which is really cake to swap out would be needed but what about using the 9mm hammer on the 5.56 upper?

Steven

I don't think the 9mm hammer will work. I have a regular AR hammer that works with both my 5.56 upper and my 9mm uppers. I also use a 4.3 oz buffer for both, I just add buffer spacer for the 9mm. Make sure you don't have an extended buffer , if you are going to use it with 5.56. If it's 8.5 oz it's probably extended.

Ok I am a little fuzzy on my geometry So a 9mm projectile won't fit down a 5.56mm hole?

Now I am confused?

How about can I shoot 5.56 through a 5.56 upper when it is mated to a 9mm customized stripped lower with the 9mm magblock removed?

Steven

Heavy extended buffer but that already sounds like a no go so I will keep another buffer handy incase I want to shoot 5.56. Mostly now I am tring to find out if the RRA 9mm hammer will work with a 5.56 upper? to shoot 5.56 so there is no confusion.

Steven

I run a MEGA lower with an RRA 9mm buffer, 9mm spring and DPMS hammer and can swap out and run my 5.56 MEGA upper on it with ZERO trouble. Smooth as can be and a doll to shoot.

About two months ago I let a couple friends try out the 9mm buffer and recoil spring in their 5.56 uppers and when they got home, they both ordered a set for themselves!

I used to run a 9mm hammer but with the harder Barnaul/Brown Bear .223 primers I would get a failure to fire. Switched to the DPMS hammer as it works with every caliber I have: .22lr, 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62x39.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top