JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I finally did it.

Out of all the ARs over the years, Ive always wanted to build one but was hesitant because of their bad reputation.

Im sure I can make it work.... anyone else put one together with any success?

Here is what Ive got:
20181025_183134.jpg

18" 1/10 mystery barrel, mid-length gas
AT3 matching billet upper & handguard
Bear Creek bolt
Lower is Noreen billet
No trigger yet, still trying to decide.
Scope is a Nikon 4.5-14x40 mildot

Ive got 10 and 20 round mags by ASC for it.

Feels solid. Bolt was tight in the receiver... but after working it a bit its smooth now, probably just from the cerakote?

Im happy with the fit and finish of it.

I was looking to build a 7.62 pistol but couldn't find an upper I liked. Ended up going 5.56. I am still planning to get an upper at a later time. Good to see most of the 7.62 issues have been fixed.

have one
I bought the palmetto model and it has yet to have a failure
fun to shoot mags are same price as 223/556
and it's 30 cal u could hunt with it

I have built two now and they both run great. Only problem I had was finding which mags they liked. I am running C products defense mags on both builds as ASC mags needed mods to work. Second build was 11.5" pistol. Here is my rifle build thread.

7.62x39 AR build

Thats alot of scope on that bad boy. I like a 1-4x or 1-6x for hunting purposes. All your shots for hunting should be 250 yds or less with the 7.62x39 cartridge. With a 123 gr Sst bullet launched at 2400fps, if you zero at 200 you can just point and shoot out to 230yds which is realistically about max effective killing range of the cartridge.

I decided to experiment in going ultra-budget for my 7.62x39 AR. Just under $300 spent. Cycles like a dream with anything except Tulammo, which gives me light strikes... so I'll probably end up replacing the hammer spring (which I guess will push me over the $300 mark). Still, not bad considering you can't even get an SKS for that price anymore.

C6A8E6F9-5983-4E8C-8837-A9CF166CDA70.jpeg

Thats alot of scope on that bad boy. I like a 1-4x or 1-6x for hunting purposes. All your shots for hunting should be 250 yds or less with the 7.62x39 cartridge. With a 123 gr Sst bullet launched at 2400fps, if you zero at 200 you can just point and shoot out to 230yds which is realistically about max effective killing range of the cartridge.

It's a lot of glass for sure. It's the only optic I have available at the moment.

I'm looking at the Primary arms 1-6x24 or a Monstrum 1-4x24... Possible the vortex crossfire 2-7x32.... But I like the idea of a 1x option...

We'll see

Did an 80% lower with a PSA AR-47 build kit. With ACS mags it eats anything I've fed it. I personally like it more than shoothing the AR-15. ;)

I have built two now and they both run great. Only problem I had was finding which mags they liked. I am running C products defense mags on both builds as ASC mags needed mods to work. Second build was 11.5" pistol. Here is my rifle build thread.

7.62x39 AR build

When i was building mine i read your posted thread. I poked around the net and the majority said ACS mags were the best to use. Most said the C Products mags needed tweaking.

Too funny!

:s0090:

Forged is not a method used to make bolts or carriers that I am aware of. They would most likely all be machined out of billet with the better ones being made out of better materials and undergoing more rigorous heat treating and inspection processes.

When i was building mine i read your posted thread. I poked around the net and the majority said ACS mags were the best to use. Most said the C Products mags needed tweaking.

Too funny!

:s0090:
Yeah I started down the ASC path as most seemed to have the best luck with that mag in the 7.62x39 Ar builds. Leave it to me to find the opposite but the CPD mags have fed both wolf military classic steel cased ammo and my reloads with great reliability. I agree with AMT, they are a hoot to shoot. Mine goes to the range every trip and is great for getting some quality trigger time without breaking the bank. I shoot my 7.62x39 builds while letting my other rifles cool. I probably wouldn't be so enamored with them but they are boringly reliable and accurate to boot. With my 16" build I can shoot a 10 shot 100 yard group with a red dot or open sights that hovers around 1.5". Scoped it is easy 5 shot sub moa. This is all with cheap wolf ammo.

376CE67F-5366-4CE5-A68F-0D03A1E5B1C3.jpeg My light weight build. C products defense mags work great. That was the one thing keeping me away.
16in stoner barrel from midway
PSA upper
Poly 80 lower
Std lower parts kit
Bear Creek bolt group with longer fireing pin. Approx 500rds as off last week. No problems so far. I have several AK47's and love the 7.62x39 round.

Put some lighter glass on it and took it to the range

Bolt felt tight in the receiver when first assembled... Maybe that is still the case though I can manually operate the bolt and it moves freely.
When i load a single round by hand and fire it, the bolt cycles fine.
When i load one round in the magazine, the bolt wouldnt go into battery... actually got stuck half way and I had to mortar it to free it.

From there I just loaded single rounds by hand to zero the scope, which got to an acceptable accuracy... few inches at 50yds, but I wasn't very steady... good enough for now.

After doing this a couple dozen times, I tried the magazine again and it fed okay but still seemed to slow down... Break in I suppose...

Ill have to get it out again and take my time, Im sure I can get that group down by half.

20181101_210445.jpg

If you are having cycling issues, I fixed mine by extending and polishing the feed ramps. I could see where the tip of the bullet was being caught up at right below the feed ramps.

Edit: This was the case for both C product and ACS mags. Now it doesn't matter which brand I use.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top