JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

627 or 929

Votes: 10 55.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrots

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Looking at getting an 8 shot that takes moon clips to shoot revolver in USPSA. Narrowing it down to the title choice. Leaning towards the 9mm as ammo is cheaper but because it's rimless, moon clips required even when fast reloads aren't. Finding that the 929's are pretty rare and might have to order a wait. Poll attached for easy opinionating.

I've shot 627 for years in a variety of venues. While the 929 has considerable appeal & charm, in reality my own use it would be very limited. Given my own performance and scores are unlikely to be influenced by 929 supposed advantages, there is no reason to make that kind of purchase.

The 627 "moon clips or not" option, is of considerable utility.

Get the 929 9mm and then you can shoot 1000 yards like Uncle Jerry? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
I like the end of the video the background of Jerrry's man cave.

I think the 929 would load faster. Shorter rounds.
My opinion but never shot either one. :confused: I do have a 625.

Last Edited:
Which ever one You decide on make sure you purchase Lots and Lots and Lots of the moon clips. In my experience the 9 is harder on them than the .357 but it all depends on the Quality of the work done. If you are after Speed then I'd suggest you go to an automatic.

If the 357 cartridge length compromises your reload speed, just use 38 Short Colt 38 Mid or 38 Long Colt.
38 Mid worked out best for me.
38mid.jpg
Yes, I know the coating is scratched. I imaged the first test loads.

If the 357 cartridge length compromises your reload speed, just use 38 Short Colt 38 Mid or 38 Long Colt.

agree the typical moon clip allows extra movement on longer 357 mag length brass, slowing reload time, mainly due to inaccurate alignment of some cases needing a little extra guidance....

agree those moved to the 38 'short' variety of cases usually have highly competitive times & each .01 sec makes a difference;

my own match times are far more leisurely and such remedies will not really affect my own "not in your top 50%-itl group" score so I use regular 38 special brass.

There are higher quality and precision fit moon clips available to decrease the case axial movement should such be desired.

Each mfg case has tolerance differences such that some like to use single mfg brass and single precision diameter moon clip. I am quite certain even the best of them will make my efforts rise to the 'competitor level'.

Bumping the thread with new info: Cabelas had both in the gun library so I had a chance to showcase them back to back. The impression in my hand was the 929 was a rather big (technically long) gun. I understand the longer the barrel, the better the sight picture but that front sight was way out there. The 5 inch 627 seemed a better manageable length.

Haven't totally made up my mind as the lure of cheap 9mm ammo is very strong. I assume the voters for carrots are rightly pointing out that only a masacist would shoot USPSA with a revolver but it's an itch I long to scratch.

I was lured by cheap 38 specials; if you reload there's so little cost difference you won't notice, plus there is a TON of extra load choices, not to mention the Holy 357 Mag should you succumb to the sirens of Elmer's Ballistic Harpies....

Hi all,

An update and an observation:

I still haven't pulled the trigger (pun intended) but am at the realization that with this level of gun, I'm going to have to hand-load. So I might put this purchase on pause and invest in a press, etc. to figure that out first.

Secondly, I put the same question up on the Brian Enos forum that is comprised mostly of competition shooters. The consensus there was toward the 929. As you can see from the thread and the poll, here the 627 got the most votes (carrots is a close second). Interesting differences of opinion. From that, I'm inferring that folks think the 627 is the better choice as a overall weapon. The 929 really is only good for competition (which is my intention).

Anyway, thanks for the input.

I have a 627 pc and love it for what ever that's worth. I don't like the idea of only being able to use a gun with moon clips. Believe it or not, but I cc mine and it is more comfortable than my XDm9 inside the wasteband.
I got a nice holster that covers all but the grip and it has "combat"style grips so they are round don't print much at all as well as being comfortable.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads