JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get a savage 110 long range in 300prc. My question is

Can I change the barrel for a 6.5prc barrel?

Or would I need to get a 6.5prc gun in order to be able to change it to 300prc?

Last Edited:
I want both rounds but don't wanna buy 2 guns. Both rounds share the same face diameter so would it be possible to interchange barrels to have 1 gun and 2 barrels I can swap between depending on my needs

Pretty sure thats not gonna work with just swapping the barrel back and forth. I dont even think it will work with 2 complete barreled actions and a chassis since they're different lengths. I have both, id keep my 300 if i only had one. Why not just choose one?

This idea would only work and maintain accuracy in my mind if you had two or more barreled actions and never removed their scopes, and they shared a chassis instead of a stock. But they all have to be the same chassis inlet and action length unless im mistaken

And that is 'IF' you can get the barrel. I had planned on a similar set up with a Mossberg, swapping barrels between .308 and .243. It made sense to me, same bolt face, same action length, same headspace; but, Mossberg would not sell me another barrel! And If I tried to go through a gunsmith, Mossberg wanted the 'bad' barrel back, in order to send a new barrel.
So, you'd better make sure you can get the pieces / parts before making the investment.

And that is 'IF' you can get the barrel. I had planned on a similar set up with a Mossberg, swapping barrels between .308 and .243. It made sense to me, same bolt face, same action length, same headspace; but, Mossberg would not sell me another barrel! And If I tried to go through a gunsmith, Mossberg wanted the 'bad' barrel back, in order to send a new barrel.
So, you'd better make sure you can get the pieces / parts before making the investment.

That's what you call, "product liability".

That's why you buy Savage. Everyone and their dog makes aftermarket barrels for them.

Have you priced out a barrel, barrel nut wrench and headspace gauges yet? You might find you're only a couple hundred off from buying a whole 2nd rifle. While not more frugal, it's a metric buttload more practical.

Have you priced out a barrel, barrel nut wrench and headspace gauges yet? You might find you're only a couple hundred off from buying a whole 2nd rifle. While not more frugal, it's a metric buttload more practical.
I understand that it would cost just as much to get a 2nd rifle but right now I have have the money for one and was trying to get around having to wait and get a permit to purchase