JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody here ever load 55 grain .308 sabot bullets for a TC 30 Herrett or any other 30 caliber rifle but mainly 30 Herrett? I came across some bullets and wondering how they perform and what dangers I might watch out for; what worked best for you. I was able to find load data online.

I remember seeing the sabots at E Arthur Brown's. I have no personal experience, but count me in on your range report! Here's a clip of some velocities:

Cartridge Data - .308 Winchester

Powder type - IMR-4198/RX7/S-4197/IMR-3031 H322 *Check Manual*

Load Density Charge Weight Velocity Pressure

% GR FPS PSI

75 38.8 3600 34200

80 41.1 3800 38900

85 44.0 4000 43900

90 46.6 4300 49300*

95 49.2 4500 45900*

100 51.8 4800 60900*

I just loaded some up for my 300 WinMag. They were reasonably accurate at 100. Loud as hell, but surprisingly low recoil. The ONLY reason I loaded them in the 300 was because it was the only caliber I had a suggested powder for. My intent is to load them for the .308 at a later date. My grandson calls these "Lego" bullets.

Last Edited:
Yes, I've loaded these very successfully in .308 Win. They weren't quite as accurate as .308 bullets but good enough for hunting or defense. They cycled the action normally in an M1A. Worked just fine in my Win. Model 70 too. RL7 and H-4198 are my powders for these.

I had two boxes of 20 rounds each Remington factory loads, never fired any of these. Lately I saw them sitting on a shelf, decided that since I load my own to punt them out on Gunbroker. Where they sold for a stupid ridiculous price.

Then I found another plastic box with 45 count Rem. factory rounds in it. I'd forgotten about those. I was at a WAC gun show several years ago, some dealer was selling off estate stuff. Lots of it. He had a couple of bins full of loose rounds, your pick, 10 cents apiece. I culled these 45 cartridges out of those. They're clean, look new. I guess somebody had opened boxes and dumped them out loose at some point. I may fire some of these just to compare with my handloads.

I just loaded some up for my 300 WinMag. They were reasonably accurate at 100. Loud as hell, but surprisingly low recoil. They ONLY reason I loaded them in the 300 was because it was the only caliber I had a suggested powder for. My intent is to load them for the .308 at a later date. My grandson calls these "Lego" bullets.

Surprised they didn't vaporize out of a .300WM.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews