JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have the money saved up to get the .50bmg upper I have wanted, but it has got me thinking, what kind of recoil does this beast have. After a couple shots will my shoulder soon dislocate?? Whats a realistic number of shots you can take before the pain starts to kick in? Maybe I am a wuss, but on my 30.06 I have to call it quits after about 20-25 rounds.

I just got my 50 and have only taken it out once. The recoil while obvious , isn't excessive and we each fired about 5 rounds . Don't think I would want to plink all day with it , but at the price of ammo , firing it is a hoot without causing pain . enjoy !!

I just got my 50 and have only taken it out once. The recoil while obvious , isn't excessive and we each fired about 5 rounds . Don't think I would want to plink all day with it , but at the price of ammo , firing it is a hoot without causing pain . enjoy !!

Great. So I can at least go and buy a ten round box and have a good time with that :D I started to fear I could only shoot a couple rounds then be done for the rest of the week until the pain subsides :s0112:

A lot of it will depend on how big/heavy your 50 is. A lot of them weigh in the neighborhood of 40lbs so there's a lot of mass keeping the recoil at bay. Some of the cheaper uppers will probably be harder on a person than a dedicated 50 might be and the quality of the muzzle brake is also a consideration. My 50's feel pretty much like a 12ga shotgun.

What really gets me after awhile is the concussion. After about 25 rounds or so I can really start to feel it in my sinuses :s0114:

I have a Bohica upper with a stainless steel single shot Bohica lower also. I've also got a Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS scope and Nightforce mounts. The barrel is 30" long. I've also got a Magpul PRS stock on it. The total weight is 28 lbs and with the Bohica muzzle break it's a pleasure to shoot. There is zero pain just a lot of noise and a gentle push. Usually 5 to 10 rounds is enough fun and expense. One of my best friends also has one with the 24" barrel. He even has a bad shoulder but can shoot the rifle without pain. Most of my 12 gage shotguns have much more painful recoil then the 50BMG.

bohicawithbohicalower50.jpg

Agreed, Ron has the 30" and I have the 24" Bohica and at 61 + years old I find that you can handle 10+ rounds a day just fine. We primarily shoot the 647Gr API and it is more of a shove then a slam when you pull the trigger.

My Bohica behind my AR-10 .....

As others have said the recoil is surprisingly light for the round, lighter than 12g w/ the ones I've tried ( like a shove ) huge blast though, you feel that more than anything.
One caution is some brakes vent slightly backwards, keep bystanders out of the blast zone if your shooting prone cause they can send debris flying.
Have fun!

I shoot in my front yard and at first I was worried about the windows and moved my bench out from the porch a little bit. I also was worried about using my chronograph but at 10" down range from the muzzle it has no problems. I think the most important thing to do is hold the rifle tight. If you don't and you crowd the scope it might just bite your eye and give you a bit of a cut. Then it might not be so painless. But as long as you hold it tight it is just a gentle shove.

shot 25 rounds in 2 hours. my shoulder was fine but had the worst headache ever that lasted the rest of the day.the blast is what will get to you.you really notice it if you have a cold or your sinuses are pluged up.

I watch that video of the .577 and nobody is leaning into the shots (cept the last guy), I guess that's what makes it so funny to watch.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top