Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

5.45x39 AR-15

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by donovan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. donovan

donovan Eugene, OR Member

so bearing in mind ammo prices these days I was considering getting an upper receiver in 5.45x39 couple of questions though, does anyone know if you can use standard AR-15 mags? is this caliber worth it? any advice would be great before I shell out cash on an upper.

2. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

Absolutely worth it! JC Weaponry has an Olympic 5.45x39 that has about 2000+ rounds through it with ZERO issues and most of that round count has been full auto!

Talk to Jason about one as he has the best prices around. Oly wants about $750-$800 just for the upper but he'll beat that price all day long.

The mags to get are from C-Products. Again, Jason's has been flawless and with ammo being about $120 for 1080 rounds, how could you go wrong?! :thumbup:

3. donovan

so standard AR-15 mags for the .223 wont work for the 5.45x39?

4. bnr32gtr

5. jquirit

jquirit Forest Grove, OR Member

6. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

I think 99% of the 5.45x39 ammo out there is corrosive. If you find some that isn't, please let me know where. :thumbup: Hornady was supposed to be producing some domestic 5.45 this year but who knows if that will happen or not.

I'm fine with my $110 case of 1080 rounds even if it's corrosive. Just make sure to flush the salts out when you're done shooting and it won't be an issue.

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Corrosive ammo is not corrosive only because the salts will rust the barrel. Corrosive ammo attracts moisture into the barrel. So all you need to do is clean you gun after your shooting is over. On an AR, that's easy. It's not like corrosive ammo is going to turn your barrel into a sewer pipe after five shots. It just forces your hand with post-range trip cleaning...

8. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Silver bear is non-corrosive..gonna cost ya a little more though.

9. 9mmD

9mmD sw wa Member

110 a case ??? where you getting that. Hook a brutha up :thumbup: There was a couple case at pdx show but he wanted 150... I think not..

10. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

Group buy earlier this year. ;) I think AIM has it for 120-130 per case.

11. donovan

I found a hookup for 5.45x39 ammo at 115.00 per 1080 through Northwest ammo supply out of salem. ive been paying 219.00 per 1000 rnds of .223 and 195.00 per 1000rnds of 9mm. hence the idea of the new upper.

12. 9mmD

9mmD sw wa Member

I didn't see prices like that on there site. Need to know someone?

13. donovan

14. bnr32gtr

Bringing this thread back with a picture of my 5.45 AR built last week. Ran great other than dealing with the hard primers. We even ran it on an M16 lower and it was extremely controllable, not to mention fun!

Stainless barrel, YHM mid length Diamond rail, MBUS sights, JPoint micro sight, Gear Sector sling and mounts, etc. Accurate, lots of fun and cheap to shoot!

IMG_0897.jpg

15. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

There's a complete upper on ifish for $525 shipped w/two mags