JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so bearing in mind ammo prices these days I was considering getting an upper receiver in 5.45x39 couple of questions though, does anyone know if you can use standard AR-15 mags? is this caliber worth it? any advice would be great before I shell out cash on an upper.

so bearing in mind ammo prices these days I was considering getting an upper receiver in 5.45x39 couple of questions though, does anyone know if you can use standard AR-15 mags? is this caliber worth it? any advice would be great before I shell out cash on an upper.

Absolutely worth it! JC Weaponry has an Olympic 5.45x39 that has about 2000+ rounds through it with ZERO issues and most of that round count has been full auto!

Talk to Jason about one as he has the best prices around. Oly wants about $750-$800 just for the upper but he'll beat that price all day long.

The mags to get are from C-Products. Again, Jason's has been flawless and with ammo being about $120 for 1080 rounds, how could you go wrong?! :s0155:

so standard AR-15 mags for the .223 wont work for the 5.45x39?

Yes and no. Some will feed about 10-15 rounds but not reliably. The C-Products mags have a different curve and follower, specific to the 5.45 round.

They're not expensive by any means. Here's a couple links for you:

44mag.com:

<broken link removed>

Palmetto State Armory:

<broken link removed>

:s0155:

For some fun, Rainier Arms currently has the Adams Arms piston-driven 5.45x39 upper retailing for $760.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1893

Got a cheap source of ammo that isn't corrosive?
I think 99% of the 5.45x39 ammo out there is corrosive. If you find some that isn't, please let me know where. :s0155: Hornady was supposed to be producing some domestic 5.45 this year but who knows if that will happen or not.

I'm fine with my $110 case of 1080 rounds even if it's corrosive. Just make sure to flush the salts out when you're done shooting and it won't be an issue.

Corrosive ammo is not corrosive only because the salts will rust the barrel. Corrosive ammo attracts moisture into the barrel. So all you need to do is clean you gun after your shooting is over. On an AR, that's easy. It's not like corrosive ammo is going to turn your barrel into a sewer pipe after five shots. It just forces your hand with post-range trip cleaning...

I think 99&#37; of the 5.45x39 ammo out there is corrosive. If you find some that isn't, please let me know where. :s0155: Hornady was supposed to be producing some domestic 5.45 this year but who knows if that will happen or not.

I'm fine with my $110 case of 1080 rounds even if it's corrosive. Just make sure to flush the salts out when you're done shooting and it won't be an issue.

Silver bear is non-corrosive..gonna cost ya a little more though.

I think 99% of the 5.45x39 ammo out there is corrosive. If you find some that isn't, please let me know where. :s0155: Hornady was supposed to be producing some domestic 5.45 this year but who knows if that will happen or not.

110 a case ??? where you getting that. Hook a brutha up :s0155: There was a couple case at pdx show but he wanted 150... I think not..

I found a hookup for 5.45x39 ammo at 115.00 per 1080 through Northwest ammo supply out of salem. ive been paying 219.00 per 1000 rnds of .223 and 195.00 per 1000rnds of 9mm. hence the idea of the new upper.

Bringing this thread back with a picture of my 5.45 AR built last week. Ran great other than dealing with the hard primers. We even ran it on an M16 lower and it was extremely controllable, not to mention fun!

Stainless barrel, YHM mid length Diamond rail, MBUS sights, JPoint micro sight, Gear Sector sling and mounts, etc. Accurate, lots of fun and cheap to shoot!

View attachment 205764

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top