JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand! Just buy the SS Alaskan and give it a 'black' coating. Same gun!

But, I really want to know, have you ever shot one, they are not ported and they are thunder in the wrist. Unless, you are built like the HULK!!!
That's not a terrible option and I have considered it. Would feel like cheating, maybe....

I have not fired one out of a short barrel but dang if I don't appreciate some stout recoil from time to time. And the big ol fireballs short barrels make. Just sounds like a real hoot :D

The .40/10mm are not revolver cartridges.

I think it is because of the .480 Ruger vs. the .460

You'll notice Ruger doesn't make a revolver in .500 S&W magnum either.

I don't know if it is about sales or pride or what?

I don't care for looks of the Ruger SRH, but I think it is maybe a stronger revolver than the S&W
Sometimes I find myself kicking rocks and should have bought the .480 in black that I believe velzey listed? It was Christmas-ish. If Ruger made anything in .460 I'd buy it and get a cerakote for sure.

Stop me if this is a repeat of a repeat. I'm looking for a very specific revolver but darn if it's not near impossible to find. The one in question is a Ruger super redhawk Alaskan in 454 casull, black/blued finish. I saw one in .480 Ruger on this site a while back. Close but no cigar. And then there's finding the blankety blank ammo. Anyway, if anyone had a good resource to find what I've been searching a year for, please, let me know. GB/GA weren't a lot of help, would prefer not buying from box stores. Lastly, please tell me why or why not to buy one. I'm all ears :D

My MT husband had 2 (For sure 2 of them that I knew about, saw shot, etc.) of those .454 Casull caliber handguns for some time. One in a Freedom Arms, he owned a couple of FA revolvers, and one was in another brand (P&R?). He owned a bunch of RUGER revolvers over time in 45Long Colt too.

He reloaded for all of his CF firearms and still does - since the early 70's. He used to reload for all of his various shotguns for a time frame too. He does not own a shotgun now.

So are you going to reload for this? I gather that ammunition is costly for this caliber but I have not looked for it.

Are you shooting hands/arms pretty strong?

The .454 Casull caliber never interested me but I did LOVE and shoot 45Long Colt out of my former Ruger Blackhawk and out of a former Winchester rifle. Go figure! LOL

You did ask for an opinion so I gave it and I hope that I did not offend any person here.

Cate

If I were getting into that range, I'd look at .475 and .500 Linebaugh, and just handload all my ammo. I shot a .500 Linebaugh once - loaned to me by John Linebaugh himself. Very cool... :)

John Linebaugh/United States/ custom sixguns/ 500 caliber revolvers

John ate dinner with my MT husband and I at the Cody Hotel's restaurant years ago.

John was pretty close to a now dead friend of ours. Actually two men but one man was closer to him over time.

My MT husband never owned a .475 or .500 Linebaugh firearm.

Take care.

Cate

My MT husband had 2 (For sure 2 of them that I knew about, saw shot, etc.) of those .454 Casull caliber handguns for some time. One in a Freedom Arms, he owned a couple of FA revolvers, and one was in another brand (P&R?). He owned a bunch of RUGER revolvers over time in 45Long Colt too.

He reloaded for all of his CF firearms and still does - since the early 70's. He used to reload for all of his various shotguns for a time frame too. He does not own a shotgun now.

So are you going to reload for this? I gather that ammunition is costly for this caliber but I have not looked for it.

Are you shooting hands/arms pretty strong?

The .454 Casull caliber never interested me but I did LOVE and shoot 45Long Colt out of my former Ruger Blackhawk and out of a former Winchester rifle. Go figure! LOL

You did ask for an opinion so I gave it and I hope that I did not offend any person here.

Cate
Absolutely I'd load my own. There's no way I could afford to buy factory ammo at $30 per 20 regularly.

For now my hands and arms are plenty strong and have to be for my profession. But eventually I'll slow down. Hopefully not for many years.

Thanks for the reply :D

Yes, I am aware that revolvers are made that are chambered for .40 and 10mm, but they were not designed to be revolver cartridges was my point, and I feel this may have been one reason that Ruger decided to chamber revolvers for them. It is about marketing and competition; Ruger may have felt that selling .40/10mm revolvers would not benefit S&W - and I would agree.

OTOH, they probably felt that chambering the SRH in .460 S&W Mag would benefit S&W, so instead they came out with the .480 Ruger. I personally don't agree - I think Ruger would make more money selling SRH revolvers in .460 than they do selling revolvers in .480, but there you go. Corporations, especially those run mostly by a single person at the top, don't always make logical decisions.

Absolutely I'd load my own. There's no way I could afford to buy factory ammo at $30 per 20 regularly.

For now my hands and arms are plenty strong and have to be for my profession. But eventually I'll slow down. Hopefully not for many years.

Thanks for the reply :D

You think 454 is expensive?

Try buying some .460 Mag:

This is next on the list.
1590546133953.png
.454 Bisley model.

John ate dinner with my MT husband and I at the Cody Hotel's restaurant years ago.

John was pretty close to a now dead friend of ours. Actually two men but one man was closer to him over time.

Take care.

Cate

My husband is reading this thread with me and he told me that I gave the NAME of the hotel and restaurant wrong. It was the old IRMA HOTEL in Cody, WY not the Cody Hotel in Cody, WY.

I forgot that and wrote it wrong.

It is an old famous building and the food was very good years ago. We only ate there and we stayed elsewhere.

Apologies to the forum.

Old Lady Cate

Stop me if this is a repeat of a repeat. I'm looking for a very specific revolver but darn if it's not near impossible to find. The one in question is a Ruger super redhawk Alaskan in 454 casull, black/blued finish. I saw one in .480 Ruger on this site a while back. Close but no cigar. And then there's finding the blankety blank ammo. Anyway, if anyone had a good resource to find what I've been searching a year for, please, let me know. GB/GA weren't a lot of help, would prefer not buying from box stores. Lastly, please tell me why or why not to buy one. I'm all ears :D
As to why or why not buy a Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 that weighs 44 oz. and has 2.5-inch barrel. I wouldnt. Not when The Talo version of the Super Redhawk standard .454 has a 5-inch slab-side barrel and weighs only 47 oz. The .454 is noted for horrific recoil, even in full size guns. I'm guessing that much of the power of the .454 would be wasted shot from such a short barrel. The Alaskan is a huge gun with hardly any barrel or sight radius. Even if I had the standard SRHK with the 5-inch barrel I wouldnt use .454 loads. Especially not for self-defense against grizzlies.

One standard, the one promulgated by Garrett, says for SD against bears you should be able to fire a gun one handed with either hand and do fast follow-up shots. ( Theres an article on it on the Garrett Cartridges website.) So Garrett actually loaded a .44 mag to about 800-900 ft. lbs for SD against bears. That is, softer, not hotter than standard hunting .44 mag hunting ammo, which is generally 1100 to 1200 ft lbs. I've found with a .44 mag revolver with a 6 inch barrel weighing about 50 oz I can fire accurately with either hand with ammo running up to about 1000 ft. lbs. At 1200 ft. lbs. I need both hands on the gun to control it well enough for follow-up shots. If I manage to find a 4 inch .44 to replace my current .357 edc, I'll carry it with 260 gr. Wide flat nose hardcast .44sp loads. That is, a hot .44sp. And as for any kind of a snubby .454, no way would I carry it with anything hotter than a .45 +P. So, call me a whimp. ALAYDCMLFD. ( as long as you dont call me late for dinner.)

As to why or why not buy a Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 that weighs 44 oz. and has 2.5-inch barrel. I wouldnt. Not when The Talo version of the Super Redhawk standard .454 has a 5-inch slab-side barrel and weighs only 47 oz. The .454 is noted for horrific recoil, even in full size guns. I'm guessing that much of the power of the .454 would be wasted shot from such a short barrel. The Alaskan is a huge gun with hardly any barrel or sight radius. Even if I had the standard SRHK with the 5-inch barrel I wouldnt use .454 loads. Especially not for self-defense against grizzlies.

One standard, the one promulgated by Garrett, says for SD against bears you should be able to fire a gun one handed with either hand and do fast follow-up shots. ( Theres an article on it on the Garrett Cartridges website.) So Garrett actually loaded a .44 mag to about 800-900 ft. lbs for SD against bears. That is, softer, not hotter than standard hunting .44 mag hunting ammo, which is generally 1100 to 1200 ft lbs. I've found with a .44 mag revolver with a 6 inch barrel weighing about 50 oz I can fire accurately with either hand with ammo running up to about 1000 ft. lbs. At 1200 ft. lbs. I need both hands on the gun to control it well enough for follow-up shots. If I manage to find a 4 inch .44 to replace my current .357 edc, I'll carry it with 260 gr. Wide flat nose hardcast .44sp loads. That is, a hot .44sp. And as for any kind of a snubby .454, no way would I carry it with anything hotter than a .45 +P. So, call me a whimp. ALAYDCMLFD. ( as long as you dont call me late for dinner.)
If the SRH had the same style barrel that the Alaskan has, just longer, I'd be willing to give them a go. However, this is more of an aesthetic "want" than a functional "need" and I think the weird pipe jammed in a barrel look is just awful on anything other than the Alaskan model. I appreciate your insight, though as it may have made the upstairs "click"

" IRMA HOTEL in Cody, WY not the Cody Hotel in Cody, WY"

It's called that because it was built by Buffalo Bill in 1902 and named after his daughter. I have eaten there several times. They had old west style shootouts in front every evening in the summer, probably still do.

I think the .480 Ruger is just a shortened .475 Linebaugh, right? Strange Ruger didn't just chamber that gun in .475 Linebaugh, especially since John's entire business was based on Ruger revolvers.

Last Edited:
" IRMA HOTEL in Cody, WY not the Cody Hotel in Cody, WY"

It's called that because it was built by Buffalo Bill in 1902 and named after his daughter. I have eaten there several times. They had old west style shootouts in front every evening in the summer, probably still do.

I think the .480 Ruger is just a shortened .475 Linebaugh, right? Strange Ruger didn't just chamber that gun in .475 Linebaugh, especially since John's entire business was based on Ruger revolvers.

Hello,

Yes, and I knew about the history of the hotel. I got the name wrong. Apologies again.

We did get to see one old west shootout too.

We went to Cody only a couple of times since I have lived out here.

As I mentioned above...

My MT husband had 2 (For sure 2 of them that I knew about, saw shot, etc.) of those .454 Casull caliber handguns for some time. One in a Freedom Arms, he owned a couple of FA revolvers, and one was in another brand (P&R?).

He owned a bunch of RUGER revolvers over time in 45Long Colt too. (Other calibers too.)

I don't know jack squat about those other LARGER caliber handguns. I know the name of them, I saw what my MT husband owned, I saw some larger ones in stores but I never 'studied the issue'. I never wanted one (NO offense to any person here.) and not just due to some old broken bones, nerve damage and injuries from a bad fall and arthritis getting worse as I age.

I NEVER owned any of those fancy, more expensive, famous name brand guns either. I NEVER owned a custom made gun either in ANY brand. Handguns or rifles.

I did own (Long gone now.) several NIB Ruger single action revolvers bought back east and a few out here that were just PLAIN sweet shooting s/a revolvers. (ONE Ruger Blackhawk in 45Long Colt bought back east, one Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Magnum bought out here, and several Ruger single action convertible 22lr/22wmr revolvers and one specific Ruger s/a revolver made ONLY in 22lr. I think (?) that they stopped making that one model too. That model was bought back east but I will be dipped on what the name was now. CRS! LOL)

The handgun CF CALIBERS that I personally owned were in 9mm, 357Magnum, 38Special and Plus P, 44Magnum/44Special and 45Long Colt. Glock, Smith and Wesson and Ruger brands. I owned several RF handguns made by Smith and Wesson and Ruger. (Various models.)

I don't shoot handguns any longer.

My MT husband only owns and shoots 3 handguns now. Semi automatic pistols in 45acp and 22lr. NO revolvers of any type any more. He is pretty careful with his old hands, wrists, etc. due to a few physical issues and not just because he is in his late 60's.

He continues to shoot his rifles in 45-70, 30-06, 30-30, .223 and in 22lr on a regular basis.

I shoot a 22lr rifle and I may get another 22wmr rifle for my 70th birthday. We don't have any 22wmr caliber firearms in our home now.

Take care. Good shooting to you too!

Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR