JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stop me if this is a repeat of a repeat. I'm looking for a very specific revolver but darn if it's not near impossible to find. The one in question is a Ruger super redhawk Alaskan in 454 casull, black/blued finish. I saw one in .480 Ruger on this site a while back. Close but no cigar. And then there's finding the blankety blank ammo. Anyway, if anyone had a good resource to find what I've been searching a year for, please, let me know. GB/GA weren't a lot of help, would prefer not buying from box stores. Lastly, please tell me why or why not to buy one. I'm all ears :D

I had a Thompson Contender in .454 Casull. I tell ya', it was a blast.

That spiffy-looking JSK muzzle brake made sure that EVERYBODY on the firing line knew I was shooting it......happy days, eh?

Of course, I COULD have one now, with it's UK-legal 14" barrel, and just have a sticky-out thing welded on the bottom of the grip, but it wouldn't be the same.

I love the 454 Casull!!!! I have the the Super Redhawk but not the one you want. Have you ever shot a 454 C with a 2 inch barrel!?!?!?!?! I would not because shooting my SRH with a 7 inch barrel is hard enough for me! I am waiting and wanting a 454C lever carbine myself.

I have seen the Alaskan in SS but never knew they made it blued. If you RAELLY want it blued, then consider post #3 OR call Ruger and ask if they will blue it for you.

(OR buy the Taurus Raging Judge Magnum, it is offered in 3 inch AND in addition to 454C, you have 45 Colt, 410 3" shells)

I had a Thompson Contender in .454 Casull. I tell ya', it was a blast.

That spiffy-looking JSK muzzle brake made sure that EVERYBODY on the firing line knew I was shooting it......happy days, eh?

Of course, I COULD have one now, with it's UK-legal 14" barrel, and just have a sticky-out thing welded on the bottom of the grip, but it wouldn't be the same.
Hey Tac! That T/C Contender, was it Katahdin model chambered in 460 SW? How is your Contender? I looked at them but could not find information in if they have ejectors, my concern is hunting in cold weather with gloves, will it be difflicult to remove spent cases?

Stop me if this is a repeat of a repeat. I'm looking for a very specific revolver but darn if it's not near impossible to find. The one in question is a Ruger super redhawk Alaskan in 454 casull, black/blued finish. I saw one in .480 Ruger on this site a while back. Close but no cigar. And then there's finding the blankety blank ammo. Anyway, if anyone had a good resource to find what I've been searching a year for, please, let me know. GB/GA weren't a lot of help, would prefer not buying from box stores. Lastly, please tell me why or why not to buy one. I'm all ears :D
I'm guessing that was a custom finish not done by the manufacturer. Not blued but coated as SS can't actually be blued.

Hey Tac! That T/C Contender, was it Katahdin model chambered in 460 SW? How is your Contender? I looked at them but could not find information in if they have ejectors, my concern is hunting in cold weather with gloves, will it be difflicult to remove spent cases?

Sir, AFAIK my standard Thomson Contender, but with a 14" .454 Casull-chambered barrel, could now be a rusting heap somewhere. It had to be disposed of back in 1997. Here in yUK we did not get spiffy US-market upgrades - for the almost $2K it cost me, it was a real plain-Jane kinda thing.

Sir, AFAIK my standard Thomson Contender, but with a 14" .454 Casull-chambered barrel, could now be a rusting heap somewhere. It had to be disposed of back in 1997. Here in yUK we did not get spiffy US-market upgrades - for the almost $2K it cost me, it was a real plain-Jane kinda thing.
Uh huh, I think what I got out of your reply is that it is legal to have a SBR in the UK? :eek:

England, Wales and Scotland = NO CARTRIDGE-FIRING HANDGUNS UNLESS THEY HAVE A MINIMUM 12" BARREL AND A GRIP EXTENSION TO MAKE THEM 24" OVERALL.

Northern Ireland = ANY kind of handgun you want.
Ohhhh, the Contender is a handgun, not a rifle. Oooopps, Okay. Thanks Tac.

Thanks for the replies, guys. The thing for me is the aesthetics. I really, really like how the Alaskans look in black (I'll refrain from calling them blued) an I know Ruger makes their other models in black as well. I'll be honest and blame the movie "Faster" for my initial want, though that one was stainless.

I've thought about the 460 a couple times but the gun just doesn't have the same visual appeal to me. Maybe if they made one in black with an unfluted cylinder?

I could be persuaded into a super Black hawk bisley Hunter but again, it just wouldn't "look" right to me

Thanks for the replies, guys. The thing for me is the aesthetics. I really, really like how the Alaskans look in black (I'll refrain from calling them blued) an I know Ruger makes their other models in black as well. I'll be honest and blame the movie "Faster" for my initial want, though that one was stainless.

I've thought about the 460 a couple times but the gun just doesn't have the same visual appeal to me. Maybe if they made one in black with an unfluted cylinder?

I could be persuaded into a super Black hawk bisley Hunter but again, it just wouldn't "look" right to me
I understand! Just buy the SS Alaskan and give it a 'black' coating. Same gun!

But, I really want to know, have you ever shot one, they are not ported and they are thunder in the wrist. Unless, you are built like the HULK!!!

I like my 406V.

While I understand cosmetic appeal, I value function over form and I like the looks of the 460V

That said, the 460V is a large gun, not particularly easy to carry, but between the weight and the comp, it is fun to shoot - especially compared to my 329PD, which is easy to carry, but a beast to shoot due to its lightweight.

A Ruger Redhawk in .45 LC would be more practical, the the 460V can fire .45 LC, .454 and .460 Mag - the .460 mag being a lot more powerful than the .454 - almost matching .45-70 power.

It is unfortunate that Ruger doesn't make a SRH in .460, but I guess they can't bring themselves to chamber it in a competitors cartridge.

I like my 406V.

While I understand cosmetic appeal, I value function over form and I like the looks of the 460V

That said, the 460V is a large gun, not particularly easy to carry, but between the weight and the comp, it is fun to shoot - especially compared to my 329PD, which is easy to carry, but a beast to shoot due to its lightweight.

A Ruger Redhawk in .45 LC would be more practical, the the 460V can fire .45 LC, .454 and .460 Mag - the .460 mag being a lot more powerful than the .454 - almost matching .45-70 power.

It is unfortunate that Ruger doesn't make a SRH in .460, but I guess they can't bring themselves to chamber it in a competitors cartridge.
They chamber 40SW with 10MM cylinders. But I thought the same, too. I wonder if the cartridge has to be a certain age before other manufacturers chamber it.

They chamber 40SW with 10MM cylinders. But I thought the same, too. I wonder if the cartridge has to be a certain age before other manufacturers chamber it.

The .40/10mm are not revolver cartridges.

I think it is because of the .480 Ruger vs. the .460

You'll notice Ruger doesn't make a revolver in .500 S&W magnum either.

I don't know if it is about sales or pride or what?

I don't care for looks of the Ruger SRH, but I think it is maybe a stronger revolver than the S&W

The .40/10mm are not revolver cartridges.

I think it is because of the .480 Ruger vs. the .460

You'll notice Ruger doesn't make a revolver in .500 S&W magnum either.

I don't know if it is about sales or pride or what?

I don't care for looks of the Ruger SRH, but I think it is maybe a stronger revolver than the S&W
It is often said Ruger revolvers are stronger than S&W for their intended cartridge. S&W does make some beautiful revolvers.

Good point on the 500 S&W.

I don't think my 460V is going to fall apart - it is probably plenty strong enough to handle anything I shoot thru it. Now my 329PD - I've shot bear loads in it (300 gr. @ advertised 1200-1300 FPS) and I have always wondered how many more rounds it will take before my hands fall apart from the recoil. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top