JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Friend traded me a 12lb can of 700x, I'm running it in the .45s with odds and ends of cast bullets. Seems to work ok and it's not any dirtier than most others I would be using. I'm saving the unique and bullseye for other things.

I am looking for a better fuel economy out of my .45 ACP. I was using HP-38 and it is very dirty (5gr, 230g RN, full size 1911)
I would increase the charge or shorten the COL.
Inadequate neck tension could also be a factor, I would avoid R-P brass.

W-231 the same powder as HP-238? That is what I read on NWFA some time ago, and looking at recipies they all show the exact same amounts, pressures and velocities for both powders.

I'd read, and it makes sense to me, that gun powder is coated with graphite....Graphite is dirty, therefore it makes your gun dirty. If you've got unburnt powder the gun will be more dirty, no?

I recently reduced my charge for my full size 1911 to 5.2gr W-231 from 5.6gr, under a 200gr plated HP, shoots fine.

Mike
EDIT: I had my powder weights wrong, looked at my book and was on .38 special!! Just another reason to make sure to check and double check your loads.

As mentioned you will tend to run a bit sooty with low pressure loads. W231/HP38 work fine. Try incremental increases to the charge weight and re-check results. You will likely find a cleaner load that is accurate and not too hot to enjoy.

OG03

What we heere is a failure to commnuicate
I get the impression that you want to shoot and have your gun as clean as when you started, That isn't happening. All powders are going to leave some residue and therefore "dirty" the gun.
Try 5.5 grains of HP-38 and see if you like that.

If you have other powders try them and document your results with photos and compare them and see what they show you. Empricial evidence is always good.

Do tell about the r-p brass please.
Case wall thickness of R-P brass runs thinner than most, this along with a slightly undersized bullet or a over sized sizing die or a over sized expander plug will equal poor case neck tension.

What we heere is a failure to commnuicate
I get the impression that you want to shoot and have your gun as clean as when you started, That isn't happening.

What? You mean I have to clean the gun? Damn... and here I thought that service was provided in the range fees...

So here is my problem - nevermind I have pushed thousands of rounds downrange, and for a time cleaned guns professionally for the local police department and entry team - the higher loads of this powder lead my gun to jam. Hodgdon reports the max is 5 Gr., and I have loaded up to 5.5Gr, and that's when the type two missfeeds occur. I replaced the springs in the gun, and again, same malfunction. It's a Kimber 45, and is about 14 years old. I have no problems with malfunctions generally, and none with 5gr of 38. It's just filthy. Mark, I appreciate your heads up... maybe I'll just quit complaining and get to cleaning. Just thought I would ask the people in the know. I think I will try some other powder - lots of great suggestions above.

Thanks guys!

Bj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews