JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to know if anyone has ever tried a pistol can on a ar15 rifle/ pistol. I see everyone talk about "pressures" this "pressure" that but that seems like a great way for them to get you to buy a separate suppressor from said company or maybe actually blow your can tf up 😂. My cans should be here soon so if I have no real answers by then I'm trying it myself and may or may not be going to try out that lifetime warranty 😂. Let me know and I really only want to hear from people who tried it or people that actually have suppressors sorry.

Here's a video of a couple guys blowing up various suppressors that aren't rated for 5.56x45mm - a .300Blk rated suppressor and a 9mm suppressor I believe.

The manufacturers warnings when it comes to suppressors are definitely not marketing tactics. A lot of rifle rounds create insane amounts of pressure in the barrel and at the muzzle, and suppressors have to be specifically designed with those pressures in mind.

To answer your question directly, I don't think you're going to many (or any) people here who have personally tried using a pistol suppressor on a high-powered rifle, as that seems like a good way to blow up a suppressor.

Here's a video of a couple guys blowing up various suppressors that aren't rated for 5.56x45mm - a .300Blk rated suppressor and a 9mm suppressor I believe.

The manufacturers warnings when it comes to suppressors are definitely not marketing tactics. A lot of rifle rounds create insane amounts of pressure in the barrel and at the muzzle, and suppressors have to be specifically designed with those pressures in mind.

To answer your question directly, I don't think you're going to many (or any) people here who have personally tried using a pistol suppressor on a high-powered rifle, as that seems like a good way to blow up a suppressor.
The more you know! Thanks bud!

I want to know if anyone has ever tried a pistol can on a ar15 rifle/ pistol. I see everyone talk about "pressures" this "pressure" that but that seems like a great way for them to get you to buy a separate suppressor from said company or maybe actually blow your can tf up 😂. My cans should be here soon so if I have no real answers by then I'm trying it myself and may or may not be going to try out that lifetime warranty 😂. Let me know and I really only want to hear from people who tried it or people that actually have suppressors sorry.
- Dead Air Primal
- Rex MG7, MG X, Mod X and MG X custom in .458
- Griffin Bushwacker 46
- SiCo Hybrid 46

I am sure there are others also but those can all be run as a pistol suppressor. It really comes down to what the suppressor in question was designed to handle. Just because you can though, doesn't mean you should. My experience with over bore suppressors on cartridges like 5.56 is that they provide minimal sound suppression.

If you give it a try, make sure you have a fixed spacer in your Nielsen device.

I'd imagine you could get away with 1-3 rounds before something bad happened.

I've used 9mm and .45 pistol cans on ARs with .300 BLK subsonic. But that is pistol-equivalent ammo thru a pistol can.

My Rex MG7K is a .358 bore made for 9mm subguns/PCCs, but is built as a rifle can and you can shoot about any normal rifle round thru it.

SiCo Hybrid 46

The Hybrid 46 is the original multi-caliber, multi-firearm compatible suppressor capable of accommodating a majority of the applications expected of a truly versatile suppressor. Designed for use with pistol calibers from 9mm to .45 Auto, rifle calibers from 5.56mm to .45–70 GOV, and many in between like .458 SOCOM, the Hybrid 46 is both full auto and magnum-rated and can be used on pistols, submachine guns, and rifles.

i am not a sales man nore do i have any ties to sico

What suppressors are you getting?

As many have said, depends on the can. Dead Air Wolfman is another that can do both as long as you use the right mount for the right application.

Firearms generate pressure when fired. Centerfire pistols (in general) generate less pressure than centerfire rifles (in general). Think opening a bottle of brew vs. opening a bottle of champagne (But at a much higher level of course).

Generally speaking, pistol cans are designed with weight in mind. Makes sense since the operator is holding the combined weight of pistol and suppressor at arms length (hold a brick in both hands at full extension & you get the idea). Pistols in general service (GS) cartridges generate far less pressure than GS rifle cartridges. Think 9mm vs. 5.56.

Pistol suppressors are generally made as light as possible while dealing with the lesser pressures of GS pistol cartridges.

Exceed those pressures by using a pistol suppressor on a GS rifle cartridge weapon will result in a damaged suppressor at the least, and/or a trip to the ER (or morgue) for you OR someone else at worst.

The multi purpose, multi caliber suppressors (Hybrid .46 et al) are really rifle suppressors which can be used with a pistol (properly configured). They are inevitably larger and heavier than a dedicated pistol suppressor.

Summary- Know, understand and follow the limits of your particular suppressor.

Best regards.

WMB

Regarding the potato silencer fail vid-

I'm not given to online rants, but 4 things immediately came to mind:

- Great vid, I may use it as a training aid for why bore obstructions are bad.

- No eye pro? This guy probably has NO idea of how lucky he was.

- Why is no one beating the bubblegum out of him for endangering those near him.

- God loves fools. He certainly makes enough of them.

Best regards.

WMB

Regarding the potato silencer fail vid-

I'm not given to online rants, but 4 things immediately came to mind:

- Great vid, I may use it as a training aid for why bore obstructions are bad.

- No eye pro? This guy probably has NO idea of how lucky he was.

- Why is no one beating the bubblegum out of him for endangering those near him.

- God loves fools. He certainly makes enough of them.

Best regards.

WMB
9UgY5gb.jpg

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads