JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those .444's were popular in the deer woods of Michigan back in the 60's-70's. A bit flatter shooting than a slug-gun(?)... Not sure why you would go that route as opposed to something flatter-shooting, tho, given the choice. Unless (too much) range is an issue...
Glad to hear the .444 is coming back tho and I hope it is successful!

Oh, I hope it has a decent fit and finish. I think they are smart to go with the 1:20 rifling. I would love to have that cartridge in say, a Ruger No. 1.

A Ruger No. 1? Hope it's better than mine. I have one in .22-250 and it groups similar to a 12 ga. cylinder bore choke at 40 yards. I tried so many bullet/powder/seating depth combinations that I lost count and none of them would group worth a darn. Went to a Ruger forum and found out this is pretty common with the No. 1.

A Ruger No. 1? Hope it's better than mine. I have one in .22-250 and it groups similar to a 12 ga. cylinder bore choke at 40 yards. I tried so many bullet/powder/seating depth combinations that I lost count and none of them would group worth a darn. Went to a Ruger forum and found out this is pretty common with the No. 1.
Isn't the twist 1:14 on those? Seems there wouldn't be much to try.. like 35-55gr pills.

My current No. 1 is in .357 Magnum and does not have that problem I have shot others, in different calibres, that exhibited vertical stringing if the barrel got too hot. My next No. 1, hopefully soon:), will be in .44 Magnum.

Really??? o_O

I had a #1 heavy barrel 22-250 many years ago and it was a tack driver!! Shot many chucks that were laying down on rocks at 200-300 yards... that is a 1"-2" target!!!!!

Maybe the newer #1s are not as good?

My cousin is a well known world class shooter and hunter. He bought a #1 when they first arrived on the market. It might have been a 25-06. He spent thousands on that rifle, don't know if he could ever make it shoot straight. They are a wonderful design but I don't prefer investment cast guns. One of my buddies hunted with a 444 Marlin. At the time it was the most powerful lever gun built. It is a good caliber but I think I would prefer a 45-70 for no other reason than bullet availability. Either with modern factory loads or reloaded, the 45-70 is at least equal to the 444 and probably superior. When the 444 came out, factory 45-70 loads were limited to anemic standards because there were still so many weak actioned trapdoors in the world. That has changed. I have always liked the old Microgroove rifling. It is like we use in heavy artillery......I have to think there are advantages to it.

Hmmmph, did not know there were such problems... bummer!

From a Shootingtimes review in 2013:
"On the negative side, accuracy can vary considerably. My early-production .30-06 is one of the most accurate rifles I have owned in its caliber and is quite capable of shooting inside an inch with several loads. An early No. 1 in .222 Remington I also have is the least accurate rifle of the caliber I have ever shot. I keep it only because the .222 was dropped in 1971, making it one of the rarest of No. 1 chamberings in early guns. Until I traded one of them away, I had two No. 1-Bs in .220 Swift. One averaged close to a half-inch; the other seldom shot a group smaller than 2 inches.
My No. 1-H in .45-70 left the factory during the 1970s as a barreled action and was later stocked by Bob Cassidy. I have to be having a really bad day for it to shoot a group larger than an inch. My 1-B in 6.5 Remington Magnum is also a tackdriver. Same goes for a 1-S that was rechambered from 7mm Remington Magnum to 7mm STW by Montana gunsmith Dennis Olson. My 1-A in 7x57mm Mauser is accurate enough for big-game hunting, but its group size is nothing to brag about."

Read more: Past & Present: Ruger No. 1 Rifle Review - Shooting Times