JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I finally had to answer the question for myself as I get older. What's it like to shoot .44 magnum in a handgun. I've always had a .357 and thought it's probably where I would stop. I picked up a used Ruger Redhawk at a recent gunshow - 7 1/2" barrel - and finally got to take it out to shoot it. Discovery - there's a lot of .44 magnum hype on the internet :) At least in a hand canon like a Redhawk, it's nothing. No hand pain. No wrist pain. No strain. Very comfortable to shoot. And I'm a little guy. I put some Pachmayr rubber presentation grips on it and no problemo. I'm thinking 500 S&W now :cool:

I love my 44. Its like coming home for dinner it so good. Put a quarter on a stump and see if you can put a hole through it, fun. Oh ya no small loads either get the full fun out of the 44!:s0133:

1480.jpg

All depends on the gun and the load.

My cowboy Ruger with cowboy loads you can shoot all day long. Load it up a bit and is still very comfortable. Buddy has a 629 that he loads heavy for. I will pick shooting my Desert Eagle .50 any day over his gun.

Gee,
Shooting a .44 magnum is just like shooting a .22 magnum revolver.

Except for the recoil, report and muzzle climb. LOL
Other than that, they're both revolvers, so how much different can they really be?

I've never had any issue shooting mine. Get a good set of Pachmeyer or Hogue grips on whatever model you're shooting so some of the recoil can be swallowed up. Grip firmly, and anticipate a substantial kick and a very loud boom.
After that, you've done it. So go out and have some fun, now that you're not a newbie with it.
A .44 Magnum will put a smile on your face the first time you shoot one, or you'll run home screaming like a 2 year old at Walmart.

Regards,
Gregory

I remember the first time I shot my dads 44 it was a single action revolver. He said I could shoot it if I bought the ammo. Well anwyway, he stands behind me and I say don't worry I'm not going to let go of it. Touched off that first round and when I turn around he has some ear plugs in his hand and says you will never forget these again will you. What? I can't hear you. What did you say? I never did forget hearing protection again.

I already have a Rossi .38 Spl. I want to get a .44 Mag, but I don't want to add more calibers to my already confusing ammo supply chain. Should I get a .357 Mag, and shoot .38 Spl's for practice, or should I skip that and get a .44 Mag? I'm not affected by recoil too much, I've shot my Neighbor's .500 S&W with no issues.

Big heavy guns tame the recoil nicely. Pick up a derringer in .44 mag and try that. After you've vefied that the gun actually did fire and didn't blow up in your hand you'll realize how wonderful all that mass is!

I for one find .44mag to be more comfortable to shoot than .357mag most of the time. Mainly because .44mag guns tend to be a little bigger and disperse the recoil a little better. Even when shooting comparable guns (.44mag snubbie & .357mag snubbie) I think the recoil from the .44mag is more of a huge shove compared to the slap of the .357mag guns.