JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Until recently I have never considered buying any shotgun except a 12 gauge. becouse the ammo is about the same price, so I might as whell go with the bigger of them. (I dont hunt, just shoot clay targets)

This summer I bought my wife a 20, becouse she is 95lbs and cant hadle the recoil of a 12 ga.

the next weekend I went shooting clay with my day and brought my wifes 20 ga and my 12 ga. my dad brought his 410. This weekend was the first time I have ever shot anything other than a 12 ga.

After a long day of shooting all three guns I came to the conclsion that I like the 20 ga way way way more than the 12 ga. lighter gun/less recoil/ a little quieter and my arm wouldent hurt as much the next day.

the 410 was fun to shoot also. I was suprized how easy it was to hit what you are aiming at. Now I want a 410 also.

Since then I bought myself a rem 870 20 ga. and I love it. I am now trying to sell my 12 ga. and I dont think I will ever own a 12 ga again.

how do you feal about the smaller ga. shotguns?

12ga is the cheapest to shoot.

As far as hitting targets, any gauge will do.

People will say, "the bigger the gauge the better you will hit"

Not exactly true. There is a slight chance you will be more effective with the larger caliber. Simply more pellets.

28ga is what I shoot the best in competition.

I've got both a 12 and a 20, and I find myself using the 20 most of the time. I don't shoot my shotguns much, mainly for shooting crows out by my apple trees. 20 is more than enough for them, and with the light recoil follow up shots are quick. My double 20 has 26" barrels and weighs 6.7 pounds. With a single trigger and ejectors, it's easy to reload and fast to shoot. I like my 12, but it's a heavy pump and I just don't like shooting it as well. I think everybody should own a 12, and that's the first shotgun I bought, I really like my 20, and I may get a 16 next.

If ammo was an issue, I would stay with the 12. I believe that more ammo is sold for that gauge than ALL of the other gauges combined. 12 has the biggest variety of loads available if we ever have shortages in shot shells the way we curently have in other ammo, I believe that 12 would be the way to go.

Don't like your arm hurting? Aguila mini-shells. Pop those in your 12ga and don't worry about recoil ever again. I converted a friend yesterday to them as a matter of fact. He was using his super shorty(which is a very cool beast to play with) and loved that he tripled his mag capacity and quartered the recoil.

For plinking or clays or teaching I might consider the mini-shells, but for hunting or home defense, no way! Adjusting my lead would throw me off too.
I am not giving up 1,000fps to have less recoil and more capacity. A fully loaded 870 w/mag extension mitigates recoil well enough on its own.
Sorry, but that's not why I'd use a shotgun. :(

Cost should not be a factor because 12 and 20 are always on sale at the same time at the same price. After two weeks of bird hunting I can tell you the 20 is the way to go. Two of my friends used to use 12 ga and now they use the same shotgun I use, a Red Label 20ga. The only time I use a 12 anymore is geese hunting. I do not believe a 410 should be used for any bird hunting but is great for skeet and sage rats.

Growing up, I only used a bolt action .410 for bird/rabbit hunting & Skeet. I was deadly with it, and frustrated the 'old guys' to no end when we would shoot skeet competitively. Now, I shoot my grandads ancient 20 ga, and love it. Ammo is same price as 12 ga, and just about as much available (at least the kind I need).
I have shot my buddies 12 ga 870, and it kicks about the same, but he's got a real nice super thick recoil pad on that. But the 20 is so much lighter and I am more accurate on the clays than w/ the 12 ga.
Use whatcha like!

For hunting I use a 20g I find them easier to swing bird hunting especislly with doves. My house gun is a 12g just because I have a easier time getting the loads I want for home defense.

Either one would be a good choice for almost any aplication.

A 12ga with 1 1/8 oz of #8 shot and an improved cylinder choke makes shooting clays darn near easy. I don't notice recoil with the light loads even after 100 rounds. Shooting a 20ga with a lighter load in a lighter gun is just plain fun though. Most of my bird hunting requires the use of steel shot. For that reason alone I use the 12ga most of the time to hunt. Heavier payloads of steel help avoid crippling birds. Ammo price is the same between the two gauges but 20ga is less abundant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top