JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I havent seen alot of threads on collectable S&W autos so here one is. The 4006 was made in 40sw in several different configuration. Besides the shorty forty and performace center pistol of this variation one of the most sought after models is the 4006 custom it came all stainless including hammer trigger and slide release... What made these different from other 4006 is the hammer was bobbed and serrated, protected adjustable sights and the frame was notched at bottom in front part of grip in case mag would not come out it could be pulled. These were for mostly goverment contract and very hard to find compared to other 4006 models. No this one is not for sale.

I have these S&W 3rd gen autos:
4513TSW - good .45 carry gun (alloy frame)
4013 - good .40 carry gun (alloy frame)
4040PD - best .40 carry gun (alloy frame)
4506 - big, heavy, ultra-reliable duty arm (all steel). this gun will actually feed empty casings.
Typical Smith & Wesson autoloaders have tight, smooth actions and triggers, good sights, great ergos, and crappy plastic grips (except 4040PD) and they last forever.

I see alot of glocks with new frames....after many thousands of rounds my 5906 would not extract this summer.. I called S&W they e-mailed a pre paid will call slip re-springed and sent back in two weeks this is common with S&W for their service that is. I had a glock they said wear and tear give us......$$$$

I was a real steal guy too. When I was younger I used to shoot about 500 rounds a week. I looked into the Smith & Wesson autos as I was a huge S&W revolver fan so it made sense. Right up until they published the usefull lifespan was 5000-6000 rounds and no way to restore them. The flat out told me it was a disposable piece. This was hard to swallow considering I had 10,000 rounds through my 686. It had to go back to S&W a few times to get that far. No that I don't shoot near as much I believe one would outlast me for sure. I like the 4006 and will someday get the 1006 I always wanted.

The jury ought to be in by now. What sort of life expectancy did they actually go?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top