JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Better sectional density, more 'power', more range of bullet choices and better mag capacity than .45 for a grip/pistol of the same size but gives up capacity to the 9mm. In short, a good compromise between 9mm and 10mm or .45 ACP. The recoil doesn't bother me at all, more controllable than a .45 ACP in similar pistols and .45 ACP while having more recoil, is still controllable for me, I just can't shoot it as fast.

I also think the .40 is better in the compact/sub-compact guns as it will remain more 'powerful' than the 9mm is in a full sized gun.

Most of my SIGs (except the 227) either have or will eventually have the capability to shoot both 9mm and .40

Anymore I buy a SIG in .40 and then get the conversion barrel for 9mm, it is cheaper and more convenient than getting them in 9mm and then having to buy the slide and barrel for .40

The one downside is that .40 is not as popular as 9mm, and with more and more LE orgs dropping .40 in favor of going back to 9mm, it is only going to get less popular. So I stock up on 9mm and if/when SHTF I will have more 9mm than .40, but depending on the situation, I would use the .40 first, then the 9mm.

I went through a case of 9mm and .40S&W last year and the year before so I really don't have a preference. I've accumulated a lot of S&W Gen3 (the metal ones in both calibers) and drill with all of them.

I have come to prefer the single stack DAO models for EDC. I actually carry the 3953 more than the 4053 or my Walther PPS40 because I like the open top clip-on holster better.

At the root of it, it is personal preference. There's no one answer to your question.

For some, they believe it is a superior round, for others they just happen to own a 40. For others, maybe they have a duty gun in 40 so their own guns are in 40.

There's no right answer making 40 better than 9, so nobody is going to have the "right" answer.

22lr, 38SPL/.357 mag, 44 mag, 9mm, 45acp are the only handgun calibers I'll ever own moving forward. Covers all bases and the youngest has been around since 1955, so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I have no preference but find that the .40S&W gives me tighter groups than the 9mm. Also, many used .40 caliber handguns are lightly used (VG-EX condition) and cost less than a good condition 9mm. 9mm ammo was hard to find a few years ago, but .40 was always on the shelf. .40 caliber brass is cheaper for reloading. The .40 caliber handgun forces the shooter to stay focused on shooting fundamentals and techniques.

For decades I was a 40SW with the idea for 9mm as a conceal and the 40 for country carry.
I think go into the .357 revolver game. And now the 40 is only used in winter CC at times. Funny how interests fade. But I still enjoy the 7.62x39 over the 5.56 regardless of its bennys.

For decades I was a 40SW with the idea for 9mm as a conceal and the 40 for country carry.
I think go into the .357 revolver game. And now the 40 is only used in winter CC at times. Funny how interests fade. But I still enjoy the 7.62x39 over the 5.56 regardless of its bennys.

No 10mm? :D

Once you have assumed your stance and grip on the firearm you must learn to let recoil happen! What this means is that before you touch the trigger, you must be both physically and mentally prepared to accept recoil.

If anyone was paying attention the last time ammo got really scarce (when Obummer was elected) the only thing in constant supply was 40 S&W. There were stacks of it when the shelves were bare of other calibers.

That's not the reason I bought a 40, but I noticed it then and have always remembered.

I was going to say the snapper recoil make you concentrate on all the fundamentals more.

I find shooting anything with more recoil does just the opposite.

Without the recoil, say with a .22, I concentrate better than I do when anticipating the recoil - which is why I have 22 conversions for both my 226 and 229 pistols. I wish there was one for the 227 and 224 too (supposedly the 22 slide for the 220 will work on the 227, but there is no 22 mag that will fit the 227).

I tend to practice with a 22 first, then shoot the centerfires.

Ya, that one I had been looking at as well how do you like the G20?

( Side note spent allot of time with our Granddaughter, out doors, camping, living life, not stressing over it. )

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top