JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Stayton
State
Oregon
Inherited my grandpa's 38 sw and need some ammo. Not the 38 special. It's a 38 sw. Willing to travel. Thank you.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
I know back in the day my old man had one and he was able to cut down some 38 special shells to the right length as they share a diameter and then just hand loaded a batch. Don't know if you reload but if you do it might be an option. Hope it helps. Those are kinda cool little guns.

I know back in the day my old man had one and he was able to cut down some 38 special shells to the right length as they share a diameter and then just hand loaded a batch. Don't know if you reload but if you do it might be an option. Hope it helps. Those are kinda cool little guns.
The 38SW brass has a wider diameter than 38SPL; any attempt to cut down a 38SPL brass and load into the 38SW could result in case rupture and bad outcomes. I would not recommend fire forming in an old 38SW.

I make 38 S&W, I have a Webley 38/200 that I use as a test fixture. you are correct that the 38 S&W is different than the 38 Special. The ammo I make uses the correct .361 bullets.

I could be mistaken. I wasn't there when it happened and could be remembering the base cartridge wrong.
It's possible but not recomended, both the 38 S&W and 38 Special have the same rim dia, but the 38 S&W has a bigger body .386 vs. .379 and uses a .361 bullet all though some do load the .358 lead bullets. I've found the right sizes bullets to work best.

It is wise to check the cylinder to see if it was reamed for 38 special. Some were reamed and some the cylinders were changed to 38 special cylinders. I have a Victory that had the cylinder changed. Still shoots ok even though the barrel is too large.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.