JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you will pardon the digression, what are carrying in .38 Super? I have always had an interest in the cartridge, and the fine classic firearms so chambered. Thanks. :)

I use the heavier Buffalo for campin and the double tap for home defense.
full.jpg
reloading Ive used 7.8 gr Blue Dot with a 147gr XTP.
Colt comp 1911

I'd use something that'd actually equal or exceed the standard 130gr/1300fps load. Pretty good power there but I'll stick with hot 9's.

.38 Super has always intrigued me, kinda like a 9mm on steroids. I believe it was John Dillinger who carried one and preferred it for its ballistic performance against automobile sheet metal of the day...

Perhaps 2018 I'll finally take the plunge...

The Winchester SilverTip might be worth looking at in that particular pistol.

IMHO, 9mm in a .38Sup, without a conversion barrel would be ill advised unless specifically permissible by the manufacturer.

And I have two .38 Sups, one being a swap 9mm, with a proper factory 9x19 barrel.

Boss

Last Edited:
I have shot 9mm 125 grain lead pills all day long in my .38s and 357 wheel guns. I just beagle the mould then lube and sized them to .358 or . 3575 depending on the arm .

Are you using 9x19 brass? I presume you'd have to be using moon clips if so (with a revolver).

I'd say that's different situation than shooting a 9x19 cartridge out of chamber set up for brass ~4mm longer (.38 Super) in a semi-auto and isn't your best course, unless, like I say, the manufacturer has given it the Good to Go. I believe shooting 9x19 cartridges out of .38 Super is what is being suggested above.

My $.02 worth, could be wrong. I don't believe I've ever seen a chambered semi-auto barrel marked '.38 Super/9mm.'

BOSS

Last Edited:
Are you using 9x19 brass?

No, he said "pills" which is slang for bullets. 9mm bullets are usually sized .355 (maybe .356 for cast) and 38 Special/.357 Mags are just slightly larger. He just doesn't size them down as much as if he was loading them in 9mm brass.

Shooting a 9mm Para or .380 Auto round in a 38 Super would rely 100% on the extractor holding the cartridge in place for the firing pin to hit the primer hard enough to light it off. As the 38 Super is actually semi rimmed the extractor may not go as deep into the wrong case, further reducing the reliability. If it works in your gun, it's pretty darn hard on your extractor.

One time my brother in law commented on some "different" ammo he had shot out of his 38 Special S&W revolver. Said they stuck sometimes and he had a hard time extracting the spent cases. Turns out he had been shooting 38 Super ammo out of it!

I once had a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45. If I didn't already have my Dan Wesson the Colt probably would have stayed as my carry gun. Love the Commander size.

Having one in 38 Super would be a great carry gun. I like the recommendation of Buffalo Bore with that 147gr bullet, but I'd probably roll my own.

No, he said "pills" which is slang for bullets. 9mm bullets are usually sized .355 (maybe .356 for cast) and 38 Special/.357 Mags are just slightly larger. He just doesn't size them down as much as if he was loading them in 9mm brass.

Shooting a 9mm Para or .380 Auto round in a 38 Super would rely 100% on the extractor holding the cartridge in place for the firing pin to hit the primer hard enough to light it off. As the 38 Super is actually semi rimmed the extractor may not go as deep into the wrong case, further reducing the reliability. If it works in your gun, it's pretty darn hard on your extractor.

One time my brother in law commented on some "different" ammo he had shot out of his 38 Special S&W revolver. Said they stuck sometimes and he had a hard time extracting the spent cases. Turns out he had been shooting 38 Super ammo out of it!

I once had a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45. If I didn't already have my Dan Wesson the Colt probably would have stayed as my carry gun. Love the Commander size.

Having one in 38 Super would be a great carry gun. I like the recommendation of Buffalo Bore with that 147gr bullet, but I'd probably roll my own.

I thought as much ("pills"), it didn't seem completely obvious.

Obviously, there's a bit of a difference...9mm bullets out of proper cases in a revolver vs. a significantly shorter cartridge (9x19 vs. .38 Super) out of a .38 Sup pistol. You're of course correct on the extractor issues (.38 being a semi-rimmed vs. 9x19). If I understand correctly, the .38 Super used to head space on the semi-rim, which was part of its initial lack luster accuracy.

That being said, 9mm in .38 Super barrel probably not a good idea unless the manufacturer gives it the blessing. That's a pretty good jump (~4mm) from the chamber to the lead of the lands and grooves (unless you want to start discussing freebore barrels and the like...a whole other discussion probably better for its own thread). I'd expect there to be extraction and other issues as well.

But in any event, believe we've probably sidetracked the initial thread enough.

For that particularly pistol (LW Colt Commander, which IIRC probably does not have a supported chamber, so the alloy feed ramp probably plays in), I'd probably opt for a bit 'less hot' load...the 125 Gr. Winchester SilverTip at around ~1240 fps. should be quite shootable, relatively easy to find/order, and has been around along time. A little heavier recoil spring and/or maybe a shock buff might not be a bad idea as well, as long as it doesn't effect reliability. IMHO, factory loads are a better choice over hand loading for self defense purposes. If the law abiding citizen properly and legally does his/her part, the SilverTips would do theirs.

Just $.02 worth...

BOSS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews