JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last time I was in Dave's (Riverside, WA) they had Winchester 38-55 brass in the bins.

38-55 can be a bit fussy. I'd recommend getting the Starline LONG brass - 2.125" if you can find it. The Winchester brass is short but works well if your chamber is not too tight or bore too big. If your chamber is tight you may find it difficult to get a bullet bigger than .379" to chamber in your rifle using the Winchester brass.

The RCBS Cowboy Dies are worth every penny.

My 38-55 slugs out at .380"+ and much prefers .381" bullets.

Thanks for that info,it echos what others have told me.,so I'm gonna get a real chamber cast done so I only buy supplies once.
gee,that would be a 1st...buying the right stuff the 1st time. lol
will order the cowboy dies too as I"ve heard they are the ones to get.
thanks again and merry christmas.

More important: SLUG your barrel (its easy) and know what you need for a bullet diameter. You might not need to cast your chamber: if the older(longer) length brass fits, you're done.
Now, this all assumes you are gonna handload for this nice old caliber.
Factory rounds will work, but bullets tend to rattle down the barrell and the newer brass is kinda short, like a .38 in a .357.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.