JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now that REACH edicts have been implemented here in Europe, and UK signed up to them before leaving the EU, we are bereft of many of the enormous range of American-made propellants we once used to enjoy. Having lost my all-time favourite 4064, in the crazy rush to be compliant with the demands of the rest of Europe, I've had to look to stuff made in Europe instead.

Many good loads can be assembled from the wide range of Vihtavuori propellants, but until recently the downside was sheer cost. Only available in 1 Kg tubs, it was over $125 - plus you had to go get it, unless you were happy to pay the $40 HAZMAT charge.

All that changed last year, when the company, based in Finland, decided to cater for the financially-straitened, and produce 1/2 Kg containers across the range. My selected grade, producing, according to the figures, the same velocities as 4064, was N140.

After a bit of trial and error, this is the result you see here from the morning's shooting. Weather was fine and sunny at about 50F, and a moderate gust that blew in all directions at once. I ignored it for 100m shooting, and here's what happened.

1650805180574.png

The rifle is my 36-year old Krico 650S, now with well over 10,000 rounds down the barrel, most of them handloads. Still does the biz, though, I reckon.

1650805321955.png

Now that REACH edicts have been implemented here in Europe, and UK signed up to them before leaving the EU, we are bereft of many of the enormous range of American-made propellants we once used to enjoy. Having lost my all-time favourite 4064, in the crazy rush to be compliant with the demands of the rest of Europe, I've had to look to stuff made in Europe instead.

Many good loads can be assembled from the wide range of Vihtavuori propellants, but until recently the downside was sheer cost. Only available in 1 Kg tubs, it was over $125 - plus you had to go get it, unless you were happy to pay the $40 HAZMAT charge.

All that changed last year, when the company, based in Finland, decided to cater for the financially-straitened, and produce 1/2 Kg containers across the range. My selected grade, producing, according to the figures, the same velocities as 4064, was N140.

After a bit of trial and error, this is the result you see here from the morning's shooting. Weather was fine and sunny at about 50F, and a moderate gust that blew in all directions at once. I ignored it for 100m shooting, and here's what happened.

View attachment 1184150

The rifle is my 36-year old Krico 650S, now with well over 10,000 rounds down the barrel, most of them handloads. Still does the biz, though, I reckon.

View attachment 1184151
Gorgeous rifle and great groups!

What scope you got there?

Gorgeous rifle and great groups!

What scope you got there?
That's a 8-32x56 NSX Night Force with the 'dot-in-dot' reticle designed for use by a certain part of your military that operates in much the same way a certain part of our military. ;) It is also illuminated. Here's a gooder view -
1650811989588.png
The Picatinny rail is not standard to this rifle, which uses, in its as-bought form, a set of Apel AEW rings and mounts specific to the gun at around $600 a set. Having a STANAG mount like this means that I can put any military issue scope/vision device on it if required. Using a Red Dot is a hoot! My friendly local 'smith put it on for me a few years back. This was the original set-up with a Springfield Armory scope -

1650812288520.png

I leave it set on x22 as that is the range and MILDOT coincident figure, and it's plenty enough for the maximum ranges that I get to shoot at - 900m or thereabouts.

That's a 8-32x56 NSX Night Force with the 'dot-in-dot' reticle designed for use by a certain part of your military that operates in much the same way a certain part of our military. ;) It is also illuminated. Here's a gooder view -
View attachment 1184168
The Picatinny rail is not standard to this rifle, which uses, in its as-bought form, a set of Apel AEW rings and mounts specific to the gun at around $600 a set. Having a STANAG mount like this means that I can put any military issue scope/vision device on it if required. Using a Red Dot is a hoot! My friendly local 'smith put it on for me a few years back. This was the original set-up with a Springfield Armory scope -

View attachment 1184173

I leave it set on x22 as that is the range and MILDOT coincident figure, and it's plenty enough for the maximum ranges that I get to shoot at - 900m or thereabouts.
I'm always amazed at how many people put a mediocre (or less) scope on a good rifle and are happy with the results. I often wonder how much smaller the groups would be with a quality piece of glass that tracks well.

Edit to say this is not mediocre. :s0114:

I'm always amazed at how many people put a mediocre (or less) scope on a good rifle and are happy with the results. I often wonder how much smaller the groups would be with a quality piece of glass that tracks well.
This is how a three-shot group at the same 100m looks - using IMR4064...

1650814666875.png

Last Edited:
I thought that my results were quite good, bearing mind that I'm a lot nearer 80 than 70. And while $2700 for a 'mediocre or less' scope like this might just be pocket change to you, over here it's considered to be quite a classy piece of glass.

So, in an effort to please you, in spite of not being able to afford to buy Berger bullets any more - at over $110/C and a ninety-mile round trip to get them - this is how a three-shot group at the same 100m looks - using that same 'mediocre or less' scope and IMR4064...

View attachment 1184208
I think you need to Re-read my post.

I wasn't calling that scope or group mediocre. :s0114:

I hope this isn't getting too off topic for you but you're the only one I've seen on here talking about old Krico rifles. I have (I think) a Krico 700 in .308WIN that I bought in Germany a few years ago and for the life of me cannot find any leads for getting spare magazines. I have one that I got when I bought it but a spare is always a good thing to have ya know? Any help is appreciated

I hope this isn't getting too off topic for you but you're the only one I've seen on here talking about old Krico rifles. I have (I think) a Krico 700 in .308WIN that I bought in Germany a few years ago and for the life of me cannot find any leads for getting spare magazines. I have one that I got when I bought it but a spare is always a good thing to have ya know? Any help is appreciated
Three-shot magazines for the Krico 600/700 are like rocking horse poo. Apart from the fact that they USED to cost eu140 around fifteen years back, you'd be looking for old stock. I lucked into three FIVE-round mags back home in Canada, one for a buddy with a near-same rifle, and two for me. Even so, they were north of 150 Canadian - each.

Krico no longer make guns, but have been sucked up by Beretta Holdings. Spares for all of them are VERY thin on the ground. I truly would not know where to start to look. A few years ago a guy appeared out of the woodwork in Norway, and just as quickly disappeared......

Yeah thats about what i was expecting. egun.de has someone in Germany that claims they can make them for 3-10 rounds but he starts at €385 for just a 3 shot magazine and goes up from there and i can't bring myself to do it. I appreciate the response either way!

Tac
Three-shot magazines for the Krico 600/700 are like rocking horse poo. Apart from the fact that they USED to cost eu140 around fifteen years back, you'd be looking for old stock. I lucked into three FIVE-round mags back home in Canada, one for a buddy with a near-same rifle, and two for me. Even so, they were north of 150 Canadian - each.

Krico no longer make guns, but have been sucked up by Beretta Holdings. Spares for all of them are VERY thin on the ground. I truly would not know where to start to look. A few years ago a guy appeared out of the woodwork in Norway, and just as quickly disappeared......

Tac, do you know if Krico 600 and 700 magazines are interchangeable?

@tac , does this look like a Krico action to you? I believe it may be an M700 style action. Tradewinds out of Tacoma, WA, supposedly had a contract with Krico for a couple of years to build actions (maybe entire rifles) for their H5000 line of rifles.

Screenshot_20230608_011755_Chrome.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews