JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been wanting an AR pistol to use as a home defense weapon, but have been worried about he flash and loud report of the 556. Since 300 Blackout uses pistol powder that combusts before it exits a 9" pistol barrel that would seem to solve the flash problem. Is the 300 BLK as loud as a 556?

Since I don't have one or two thousand dollars laying around for a Sig or HK, is it possible to buy or put together a budget 300BLK that is still reliable?

300 subsonic obviously eliminates the supersonic crack and I think it has a deeper tone than the 556.
My personal house AR preference is a home built 10.5" 300 with the silencerco omega atttached. I also have a 7" thunder tech I am real happy with.
With the only difference being the barrel you can build it at pretty much the same price point as a 556. I think I paid around $750 for the thunder tech and I probably don't want to add up what I have in the 10.5".

My only real complaint with the 300BLK is the ammo cost. Can get it much cheaper online than I have seen it at any local store.
Even with the ammo cost it is by far my favorite to shoot but everything is better with a muffler in place :)

I assembled an 11.5" AR pistol with a Law Tactical Gen3m folding stock adapter. I mounted a Hera Arms Gen 2 linear compensator to direct muzzle blast forward. I handload 50gr VMax and 50gr GMX using 26.0gr H322, which yields a velocity of 2900fps. I've not noticed any flash.

11.5" is the shortest bbl length for 5.56 to produce reliable terminal ballistic performance.

Shortest bbl length for reliable .300BLK terminal performance is 8".

I chose 5.56 over .300BLK because I wanted bullets with less mass to mimimize overpenetration if I take a head shot in public. VMax for head shots and GMX for all aspect body shots. Plus GMX penetrates light barriers (auto windshield and sheetmetal) and will penetrate deeply enough afterward to reach vitals.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads