JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm very interested in 3 gun and was wondering if anyone has any resources as to the rules and regulations of local matches around the Portland area. Specifically what mods you can do to your guns and what divisions etc. Thanks

Get used to the fact the rules will vary, sometimes wildly from match to match and you just have to read them for each event and ask questions. More problematic is the fact that the rules can be hard to get a hold of prior to the match.
Just ask questions when you get there and at the very worst you will end up in the open division for your first match at that club.

When it comes to gear, use what you have right now. Shoot some matches and decide what division you want to compete in. When you have that figured out - BUY ONCE AND CRY ONCE - most of the cost I see associated with 3 gun is people replacing gear they bought due to price point, not features and reliability. I have 3 friends who went with the JM930's due to the price point and now have to replace them due to lack of reliability. The could have just spent $1100 for an M2 or 1301 but now they will end up with the same gun but spent $1400-1500 to get there. Same with everything else you will need. Watching the Enos board and AR15.com in the classifieds will help you save some money as well.

One of the things we have at the Douglas Ridge 3 gun is you can not shoot steel core ammo. It damages the targets, with the AR's this is not that hard to avoid but if you plan on shooting an AK it makes it a little tougher. As far as the statement above about the Moss JM930, mine has been perfect, BUT you must keep it clean and lubed because of the gas system.

Get used to the fact the rules will vary, sometimes wildly from match to match and you just have to read them for each event and ask questions. More problematic is the fact that the rules can be hard to get a hold of prior to the match.
Just ask questions when you get there and at the very worst you will end up in the open division for your first match at that club.

When it comes to gear, use what you have right now. Shoot some matches and decide what division you want to compete in. When you have that figured out - BUY ONCE AND CRY ONCE - most of the cost I see associated with 3 gun is people replacing gear they bought due to price point, not features and reliability. I have 3 friends who went with the JM930's due to the price point and now have to replace them due to lack of reliability. The could have just spent $1100 for an M2 or 1301 but now they will end up with the same gun but spent $1400-1500 to get there. Same with everything else you will need. Watching the Enos board and AR15.com in the classifieds will help you save some money as well.

Thanks I appreciate the info.

One of the things we have at the Douglas Ridge 3 gun is you can not shoot steel core ammo. It damages the targets, with the AR's this is not that hard to avoid but if you plan on shooting an AK it makes it a little tougher. As far as the statement above about the Moss JM930, mine has been perfect, BUT you must keep it clean and lubed because of the gas system.

I was thinking about picking up the jm930. Now I'm thinking of saving up for a benelli m2. I do have a box fed 12 gauge though.

Cleaned, lubed, not a dusty dirty environment and always feed it just the right ammo, that you may or may not be able to get a hold of even if you could use 4-5 different types of shells in a match.

Cleaned, lubed, not a dusty dirty environment and always feed it just the right ammo, that you may or may not be able to get a hold of even when you could need to use 4-5 different types of shells in a match.

There are other shotguns which don't usually have these issues.

I was thinking about picking up the jm930. Now I'm thinking of saving up for a benelli m2. I do have a box fed 12 gauge though.
we do have a couple of Saigas that shoot the comp

8CEA8066-C618-43BC-B88F-AA4291E7A7CC.jpg

I haven't had any issues with my 930 either but the new hotness is the VR80. Under six hundred bucks and uses detachable magazines up to 25 rounds. I know four people that have been running in them for a while that switched from a Benelli M2.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top