JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have my old 25-06 at a gunsmith getting rebuilt with a new barrel: 26in 7 twist, and the chamber will be Ackley Improved. This will be a dedicated long range open country deer/antelope rifle.

Help me understand what I need in throat length to shoot longer/heavier bullets, specifically Hammers. As a bonus Im open to bullet discussion but Im fairly biased on either the 117g Absolute or the 127g HHT.

My questions:
My understanding is the longer/heavier bullets need a longer throat, is that true?

If so, does a longer throat mean too much jump for the shorter/lighter bullets that are on the other end of the spectrum? Note: Im not a varmint hunter, so I dont think I will ever see using this rifle for say prairie dogs etc. That said, Im curious what the lighter limitation would be if I had the rifle throated longer for the heavies, I dont think Id be interested in shooting any lighter than a 90g projectile (if I even wanted to experiment with lighter projectiles) Id probably stick closer to 100g at the lighter end.

I'm curious about this too and jealous has hell you're getting a .25-06 put together. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Im excited about it and cant wait. The question is interesting, my wild guess right now is to take the newer heavier options percentage off the low end. If that makes sense.
Traditionally in the calilber it went up to 120g max but the newer options go up to 135ish grains now. So maybe I lose about 15-20 grains off the bottom end leaving me with 80g options and up. The jump to the lands might still be large.
Just a guess.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads