JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe the quality AR barrel manufacturers already know it's not worth their time and effort to make 24"?
You can go the Compass Lake and spend $5-600 on a quality 24" barrel but most other are going to be garbage. No one like BCM, Centurion, Criterion or Ballistic Advantage makes them. I don't even think Faxon does in .223/5.56 just .224 Valkyrie and 6.5 CM

I didn't catch that, as actions were not discussed in thy post. I agree that a bolt action is best schitter for a 20+ barrel. Steel on steel and properly bedded.
Ya, I'm kind of thinking a >20 barrel might not be the best after reading a bunch online and the links J sent. I think a bolt gun or 20" barrel will be a better choice.

Thanks everyone for helping work through this idea for another project Gun!

Anyone rocking a 24" barrel?

Curious what velocities your getting over say a 20" barrel.

Any better results with heavy pills?

Any cons to free floating such a thing? Seems like a lot of weigh on the end of an aluminum receiver?

Toying around with different ideas for a paper punching range rifle.

Thanks,

Reno
No not at all but i think that one is better too.l

FWIW, I have a Stag Model 6 with a very heavy 24" stainless barrel. It is very accurate and can push a 62 gr BTHP 3,000 FPS, a 69 gr 2,900 FPS and a 77 gr 2800 FPS, all at .223 Rem load levels. With a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope it tilts the scales around 14 lbs, which makes it very solid on the bench. If you are only planning to punch paper or use a rest in the field, the added weight and length is not that big a deal. If you hope to stretch a .223/5.56 out past 500 yards, the extra 4" of barrel and resultant increase in velocity comes in handy. My other 5.56 AR's have barrels of 16", 18", and 20". The 24" Stag is my favorite and my two 1 in 8" twist barrels (16" and 24") are the most accurate.

My Colt 6724 Match Target prefers the heavier 77grain pills to 250 yards but I haven't had the opportunity to properly test it beyond that distance. It's been a great rifle to introduce new shooters to the AR platform. Recoil is light and accuracy is very predictable topped with its 3x9 Vortex glass. I believe Colt discontinued this line several years ago.

941412B1-4C85-4666-BEC9-22D3FF2634BA.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads