JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone rocking a 24" barrel?

Curious what velocities your getting over say a 20" barrel.

Any better results with heavy pills?

Any cons to free floating such a thing? Seems like a lot of weigh on the end of an aluminum receiver?

Toying around with different ideas for a paper punching range rifle.

Thanks,

Reno

A helpful read relevant to the subject:

One factor to consider is that if handloads were to be used in 24" barrel, a slower powder might be used which could bump up the velocities a bit in the longer barrel. That was a great test for comparing one type of ammo though.

Per that article, seems like an average of roughly 200 FPS fast in a 24" over the more common SPR length of 18".

Considering 26 inch barrels are common in bolt action varmint rifles, which are also free floated, it's probably negligible.
Speaking of bolt actions with 26" barrels. If I could find this guy, I'd be buying it!

1629303396416.png

The long and the short of it is yes...24" will squeeze out 100-200FPS more than a 20" barrel but real-world testing shows group sizes aren't better. This seems to be the common denominator in most discussions and tests I've come across. I'm not going to post links as they are to other gun forums (ARF dot com).

Considering 26 inch barrels are common in bolt action varmint rifles, which are also free floated, it's probably negligible.

Barrel thickness, quality, overall build and it truly being free floated make a difference..............

The long and the short of it is yes...24" will squeeze out 100-200FPS more than a 20" barrel but real-world testing shows group sizes aren't better. This seems to be the common denominator in most discussions and tests I've come across. I'm not going to post links as they are to other gun forums (ARF dot com).
What about stabilizing long heavy stuff? You can PM me any links you think would be worthy reads, I'll go snooping on ARFcom too! One thing I haven't tried yet, and sort of have an itch to is really heavy 22 pills with 223. Like 77 and up. I really wanted 224 Valkyrie not to suck, but it seams to have died on its own sword. I really want to give 22 Grendel a go, support isn't quite there yet.

What about stabilizing long heavy stuff? You can PM me any links you think would be worthy reads, I'll go snooping on ARFcom too! One thing I haven't tried yet, and sort of have an itch to is really heavy 22 pills with 223. Like 77 and up. I really wanted 224 Valkyrie not to suck, but it seams to have died on its own sword. I really want to give 22 Grendel a go, support isn't quite there yet.

Yeah, you'll have to snoop around for detailed info. I had a 24" AR for a while, and I found it heavy and kinda unwieldy for what it was. It didn't group any better than my 18" SPR I had at the time. FYI I was smacking steel at 1000 with that 18" SPR with 75 grain Hornady Match.

If anything, just build one and let us know how it shoots. I'd be curious what kind of groups you'd get from those heavy pills.

A 7 twist 22 Creedmoor wouldn't suck, but would require an AR10 I would imagine.

Most barrels in the that length will be of sub par-quality and 1:9 twist from places like Model 1 Sales. Better it stay with a quality 18" or 20" IMO.

Maybe the quality AR barrel manufacturers already know it's not worth their time and effort to make 24"?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top