JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
The .22 WRF (.22 Remington Special)

By Chuck Hawks
Winchester .22 WRF. One box of 50 1986 Limited run and 250 rounds of 1994 Limited run. Total 300 rounds for $35.00. Local pickup only.

Illustration courtesy of CCI.
The .22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF) is all but obsolete. It was designed for the Winchester Model 1890 pump action rifle and was later adapted to Remington and Stevens rifles as well as Colt Revolvers. Winchester .22 WRF loads used a flat point bullet.
Remington manufactured the cartridge, loaded it with a round nose bullet, and called it the .22 Remington Special. The two are actually the same cartridge and are completely interchangable.
I mention it here because Winchester .22 WRF ammo will fit in a .22 Magnum chamber, but not the reverse. The WRF fires a 45 grain, copper-plated, lead semi-wadcutter style bullet at a velocity of 1,320 fps and 175 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle of a 22" rifle barrel. The sectional density (SD) of the 45 grain WRF bullet is .128. It hits with noticeably more authority than the .22 LR. Winchester also offered a 40 grain hollow point bullet.
Because its case is slightly larger in diameter than a .22 LR case (as is the .22 Magnum), the WRF will not go into LR chambers. Like the .22 Magnum, the WRF uses standard .224" bullets (like most centerfire .22's), not .220" bullets like the Long Rifle.
It is actually quite a useful cartridge, as it hits harder than the .22 LR and is less expensive and less destructive than the .22 Magnum. Unfortunately, sales have diminished almost to the vanishing point and .22 WRF ammunition is no longer cataloged by Remington, although Winchester and CCI occasionally produce runs of .22 WRF ammo. Note that CCI warns against using their .22 WRF ammunition, which is loaded with a JHP bullet, in .22 WMR guns.

17774745483261238004.jpg

.22 002.JPG

.22 006.JPG

.22 001.JPG

.22 004.JPG

I like the price and as age goes they are not old at all so they should still be shootable correct? I'm trying to see if they would be safe to shoot in a 22mag derringer.

Sorry I didn't "Lock Thread" at sale. I know now that it is required and how to do it.
My appologies for any inconvenience this has caused anyone.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.