JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to muzzleloading and in the fire-hose phase of learning information. I purchased an online CVA Optima V2 and am working on ordering equipment and supplies for starting out.

As a reloader I already have a supply of Large Rifle Primers. Rather than buying 209 Primers, and since I understand LRPs provide nearly identical performance and dependability of 209s, does it make sense to purchase a breech plug for LRPs rather than stay with the 209 Primer Breech Plug?

I do believe lrp are actually a bit hotter than 209 primers. This is a good thing for igniting black powder subs like bh209. That being said the conversion breech plug and modules to fit lrp are quite expensive and not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I have had no problem igniting max charges of bh209 in my cva muzzleloaders using either fed 209a or winchester 209m shotgun primers.
I do have a custom single shot cva 45-70 I sent to Jeff Hankins to thread for a custom breech plugs that accept lr primers. This rifle can shoot smokeless powders and propel heavy bullets to shoulder numbing speeds. I also put iron sights on it and use it for WA legal ML seasons. The lr primers ignite large charges of bh209 with no problems and accuracy is superb.
Here is a link to the cva breech plug and modules for converting to lrp if you so desire. Good luck and have fun!
https://arrowheadrifles.com/product/cva_qrbp/

@solv3nt
Thanks for the "attention getter"...:D

However , and insert best "World's most interesting man" voice here...
"I don't always shoot muzzle loading firearms....
But when I do , it is with traditional caps and flints....:D"

Sorry , no real help here.
Andy

Interesting looking device to convert to LRP but it looks like kind of a hassle, as well as spendy for what might not be an advantage or necessary.

However I shoot 'traditional' MLs with caps so I don't really have an experienced opinion.

I did at one time have an idea for an adapter to substitute LRPs in a traditional percussion cap rifle but it never made it past the 'drawing board'!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top