JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got my hands on a really nice older BAR. it has the factory irons and I am wondering if there are other folks with info on scope height, objective lens size, and clearance of the factory irons? Also wondering if folks have suggestions on where to go for info on these rifles? There does not seem to be the same cult following that there is for some of my other stuff.

Last Edited:
Just got my hands on a really nice older BAR. it has the factory irons and I am wondering if there are other folks with info on scope height, objective lens size, and clearance of the factory irons? Also wondering if folks have suggestions on where to go for info on these rifles? There does not seem to be the same cult following that there is for some of my other stuff.

Mine had an old Redfield 3-9 wide view with Weaver mounts I liked very well. Made a nice combination and seemed a good hunter though I never got around to hunting with it... The use of see through mounts for iron use would not be advised by me, without a high cheek rest to help find your position, the added height would make it difficult to find alignment fast... If your scope malfunctions just remove it to use the irons.
As an aside;
You did not say which model BAR you have there are maybe six or seven, in which case parts can differ, My browning Bar was caliber 30-06. It had a broken magazine floor plate hinge when I got it. I was able to mechanically repair it, and it was strong and reliable, after painting unnoticeable, it was not original. I looked constantly for years to Graf & Sons, Numrich, Jack First, Brownells etc for a replacement, I came up empty although other parts seemed available, even floor plates but for other models.
Still had a repaired floor plate when resold, luckily new buyer when informed of it said he didn't care since he didn't even notice the repair.
Just to inform you, regardless of the other fine and reliable attributes, and a rather fine semi auto for big bore in my opine, the bearing hole for the steel hinge pin through the aluminum floor plate is rather thin, so when opening the floor plate, especially with a full mag because the mag is affixed to the floor plate and heavy, my advice is to not let the plate plus mag free fall but catch it from slaming open and stressing the hinge.
IMGP0895.JPG
BAR 30-06.jpg