JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
I thought long and hard about selling this but it just sits in the safe. I'm not giving it away but I will trade straight across for a few other items listed below :) It is my favorite piece but I rarely carry it and rarely shoot it. It was made by Ithica (the shotgun folks) and is as good or better than any Colt. It is also sexy as hell and unique as can be. It was a lend lease item that was sent to England during WWII and probably never saw combat. The ser# indicates it was made/assembled circa 1943-45 and everything matches and is correct for the model. Ithaca only made about 200k 1911's so this pistol is probably the only one you will ever see in person. I was told it was brought back by a pilot, engraved and kept for 50 years by the same man. It looks awesome and shoots even better!! Everything is stock and in excellent condition. The slight wear on the gun indicates that the slide tends to ride the left rail but it's an issue weapon and shoots better than my Sig :) It comes with a RH, leather, 6 position holster capable of cross draw, lower back, upside down, standard belt carry, etc and 3, new, "Colt" issue mags.
It has: standard issue sights, "not English make" stamped on both slide and frame, "BV" proof marks, "DB 5" with crossed swords behind trigger on right side, "F" in front of rear sight, "P" below mag release, "7" in front of trigger guard, "M 1911 A1 US ARMY" stamped on frame in front of pivot pin, ser # 205XXXX
While I am not sure exactly what I am asking, I have been researching sales and auctions. A standard, common, un-engraved piece in this condition is pulling $1000 - 1200 AVG. This one also comes with another $150 worth of mags and leather. I also have 20 acres we can shoot a few mags through while we decide ;)
Things I would use more often are: most U.S. .30 rifles that start with designation "M1__" Replica Lever actions like Uberti 1873's or '76's, Henry's, FN 5.7 pistol, cash of course and I am an avid Black Powder shooter. Let me know if you are interested my fellow NWF's :)

1911 (1).jpg

1911 (2).jpg

1911 (3).jpg

1911 (5).jpg

1911 (6).jpg

Wow, thanks for all the messages and info guys :) I was able to find this serial number under Ithica records and I am sure Remington probably ran the same numbers too. I am going to do some more searching. The "5" under the crossed swords is supposed to indicate the year it was received and inspected in the UK. Any and all comments are appreciated too as the history of this thing is a cool as it is.

I'm checking everything but other than the numbers on the frame and British stamps there just isn't much to go on. I have always wanted to find the initials "EK" on a frame of course but this one only has the initials "IA" on the left rear trigger guard. Anybody know who that was?

"EK" was Elmer Kieth, the reason we have the .44 Magnum :) He lost a hand in a fire and couldn't fight so he tested 1911's for the Gov.

I also found out that Remington Rand halted production of frames in 1943, When they resumed production the line from under the "O" in "NO" in front of the serial number was removed. The new Remington series started with the number 955XXX. This pistol has the line under the "O" and is correct for Ithica production in '43. Thanks for the heads up on the potential "Mix and Match" guys.

I just found out that the "IA" inspection initials are actually "FJA" for Frank J. Atwood. The "F" is still visible but has engraving around it, so I missed it. Mr. Atwoods initials are stampped on all Ithicas and Remington Rand Frames. This with the serial number makes this a genuine "Ithica" :)

After more homework I have found that this pistol barrel was manufactured by Hi Standard, the hammer is serrated (as only Ithica did), the trigger is pressed and no "S" is stamped on the top of the frame, indicating it was not used in combat. It is all Ithica and not a Frankenstein parts pile.

Now , how do I figure out who engraved it?

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.