JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
any opinions on a magwell for a 1911? and preference for brands of magwells? looking at a Smith & Alexander. i like the idea of a one piece magwell. is there a advantage of a two piece? or would a one piece be better. thanks.

I have a two piece. The only advantage I have seen is the ability to remove the magwell without having to own a second mainspring housing. Honestly I don't worry about printing enough to remove the magwell anymore.

It sort of a pain to remove the MSH/Magwell anyway... I installed my two piece (I honestly cant remember if its Nighthawk or Wilson, thats sad) and have never removed it. I also don't try to conceal the Springfield Operator its mounted on though, so the above mentioned benefit of seperating the magwell from the MSH is not utilized by me.
The 1911 is a great gun but you have almost endless options on how to modify it. I've spent more than I've intended finding out things I dont like on my guns ;)

thanks for all the input. it wil not be a removeable item once installed and not a carry piece. has anyone installed the Smith & Alexander magwell? one more thing, did anyone find a Good Pair of magwell grips to install as well?

No matter which route you choose to go it will no doubt require contouring, blending and refinishing the well to fit your frame properly. Otherwise it will look as though a cookie-cutter magwell was just stuck under your frame and won't match the rest of your pistol, so don't be alarmed if at first it doesn't look like it grew there! As far as stocks go, Hogue is always a good option but will sometimes leave a slight gap (1/32" - 1/16") between the top of the magwell and bottom of the grip panel. Altamont grips are another good source of quality stocks.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews