JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in need of a new magazine for my Taurus 1911, I sold the two factory ones that came with the gun because they felt VERY cheap. Plus I have a stainless gun and I want a stainless magazine.

So I was looking into Wilson combat, but what I dont understand is the basepads.

What would make one choose this one:
47DE.jpg
over this one:
47DC.jpg

or the other way around. I just dont see why I would want one over the other. Is there a reason for a thicker base pad? Personally I like the low profile look better, but if the thicker base pad serves a function I may think twice.

Also can anyone say if the 7 round is better than the 8 rounder? I was reading that 8 rounders sometime have jamming issues, has this been addressed or is 7 the way to go?

If you have a magazine speed-chute (these aid in reloading faster) on the 1911, mags with the thinner base pad are harder to load.

Here's a link to see what a speed-chute looks like:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...urce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=649

Also, with mags dropping free on concrete floors at the range, more bumper pad tends to be better protection from the mag getting damaged.

The mags with the lower profile pad are more geared for concealed carry.

I plan on only having 1 magazine. This gun will be my nightstand gun, along with shooting it at the range. I dont have that speed chute or a magwell (I think they are the same actually?)

What do you recommend for my usage.

I am partial to the Novak's myself but for a night stand gun plain old GI mags work very well.

Any aurther explanation of the GI mag? I googled it and came up with many different brands :confused:

Also the only reason I was looking up WC was because I was told they were the best by the gun shop owner, he told me he didnt even stock them that I should go online and buy them. I figure if he is sending me elsewhere it has to be true haha!

me personally I have 5 of the Wilson combats with bumper pads. 8 rounds is better than 7 for me especially if I'm gonna go thru the process to incorporate a full sized 1911 in my carry setup. The bumper pads ensure for me at least that I get the magazine fully seated. But I also load my reload mag to only 7 for fear that the fully loaded mag might not seat fully incase there's too much tension from a full mag in a moment i need to be sure it will.

but I load all my pistol reload mags -1
and my ar15 mags -2.

I plan on only having 1 magazine.

You can accept it or dismiss it, but I recommend you change that plan. I say this because good handgun training generally requires at least three mags for courses and practice. (If you ever go to a competition, you probably will need more than one mag.) I also say this because unexpected things happen. Magazines can fail. There's an old expression in the military. "Two is one and one is none."

Regarding which magazine you should get, there are pages and pages of arguments regarding brands and models. I don't want to get into an argument with a brand loyalist as to what you should do. I can tell you what I have done. I have added a Smith & Alexander Magwell / Speed-Chute to my 1911 and I use Wilson Combat ETMs.

<broken link removed>

I have thousands of rounds through my ETMs both indoor and outdoor use. They have been dropped, kicked, stepped on, stomped on, and I have been happy with them so far.

I have a Taurus PT 1911 ALR, and the Wilson Combat 47D (the first pic in OP message), and they are wayyyyyyyyyy better than the stock Taurus mags that came with the gun. They function smoother in the aluminum frame than the original Taurus mags, because of the stainless steel and quality construction. A buddy of mine uses them also in his Springfield Operator, and swears by them.

I bought three, and keep them loaded with 8, 8, 7.

This 1911 is my home defense gun, so I want as much ready as possible, as well as IF one of the Wilson mags happens to malfunction, I have ready backup. I would suggest buying at least 3 mags.

Just my opinion, and experience with the Wilsons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem.

+1 for the Wilson's, either 47D's or ETM's. I've had 5 or 6 different Kimber's and never had a misfeed, and I credit that to the fact that my Kimber's have never been fed with the Kimber mags that came with them. Only Wilsons.

I've had good luck with the mags I got from Taurus, for the Taurus 1911. Also, never had any problems with Wilson mags. Some like the baseplates longer for using a mag-well. The best value priced, very reliable mag, I've been using lately is Act-Mag, 8rd 1911.45. Made in Italy. Mec-Gar quality, for a few bucks less.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top