JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to purchase a .17 HMR but I have noticed quite a few for sale and or trade for .22lr. Wondering if this was mianly becauise of round cost or if the HMR didn't provide significant advantage over the other 2.

Thx

I own both I love my 17hmr how accurate it is but also love my 3 22s that got aftermarket goodies that r just as aCcurate but 22 is lot cheaper to shoot then 17 bout both guns r nice and good stock vs stock 17 is better good luck picking which one ur getting

I love my Savage .17HMR, but really it's not much cheaper (and sometimes more expensive) to shoot than .223. But you do have a lot less noise and recoil to deal with though, which is nice. It's a great gun out to 200 yards.

See my post(s) in the General Firearm Discussion under the heading: Marlin or Savage HMR. My Bullberry-barreled Contender in .22 Magnum will outshoot my dubious Christmas present: a Savage heavy-barreled stainless in .17. Granted: the .22WMR barrel is probably of higher grade than the factory Savage barrel, and I am not fully done with trying to make the Savage shoot like it wants to. I think the problem is with the ammunition.

It's been noted here and is true that a guy can shoot a Hornet or .223 (with economical handloading) cheaper than an HMR. But the HMR still holds interest for me so far.

I bought a Ruger 96 lever gun in 17HMR, the first thing I got for it was a 22 mag barrel.
I like the 17 for squirrels and such, just seems a little light for medium game.
Both have their merits, but there's some fast 22 mag out nowadays.
But I've never put the 17 barrel back on... :)

My opinions,

What I like about the .22 is the semi auto ability. I switched from the Ruger 10-22 to the savage .17 because I founf that I was getting lazy at really focusing on the shot. With a semi auto not every shot counts, I laugh when I see these guys with 10 w25 round clips for there 10-22. They shoot a few shots, have a jam, couple more shot, have a jam. Most of my shooting buddies laughed at at the .17 because you can't shot as fast. However, acurrancy is more important to me. Moving to the .17 forces you to develop better skills, make you a better shot for deer, coyote, elk, etc.

Realty I didn't realize that!;).

I actually recent shot the Kimber Pro Varmit .22lr and it is a great shooting gun. I would highly recommend if you would like to drop 1k on a .22. Trigger is as good as it gets for a stock trigger or aftermarket trigger for that matter. Most people that I have spoke to about .22 are looking at the 10-22 or some other semi auto. I am sure there are other quality .22lr rifles out there that are bolt action that are quality as well. You dont find many people willing to pay $650-$800 on a bolt action .22. There maybe other quality bolt .22 for less than that but I have not shot any of them that I really liked or was accurate with consistently.

I personally am more accurate with the .17 bolt then the .22 bolts. That is why I responded to the thread with my opinion.

I've got both...ok, technically the Savage 17HMR is my wife's baby! But we use them differently. I think of the Savage as a "target practice" gun while I leave the 10-22 for plinking. With the Savage, she likes to see how tight of groups she can make using her new scope. I like to shoot my 10-22 open sighted, because it seems more "practical" to me. I try standing, kneeling, lying, etc, etc.

I've heard 17 is highly susceptible to cross-winds. This may be true, but the cost difference is what matters to me. 17HMR is easily 4-6 times more expensive. We may trade up to a higher caliber rifle some day. The 10-22 on the other hand, I will keep long after every part has been replaced (auto bolt-release is the the mail!) :)

I remember when the 17 came out and everybody had to have one.
But they couldn't shoot it because there was only one brand of ammo and it was on back order.

I didn't see the need then and have never swayed from the 22mag.
I love my 22lrs too (no 10/22s though)

IMHO, the 17 HMR has superior ballistics over 22 LR. It is a better round to be shooting for small game at distances 100 yards+. I've killed 4 sage rats in 4 consecutive shots, all over 200 yards with my CZ 452 Varmit. I've spent the time to glass bed it, trigger work (2 lbs pull) and have a very good scope on it.

The ammo supply problem has corrected itself, although prices are about $2 higher now than 4 years ago.

I haven't shot a 22 mag enough to form an opinion on it relative to the 17 HMR.

cid_002501cb904d181bfcc08AB7DE59owner1edb90311.png
cid_002401cb904d18198bc08AB7DE59owner1edb90311.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews