JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was at the LGS the other day and today, on the shelf they have a Thompson Center Compass 2 compact in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 16.5" barrel. I have been pondering a 6.5 Creedmoor purchase as a hunting rifle for some time. It's popular enough to have a good selection of projectiles and yet almost the same price as 308 Winchester ammo give or take a buck. I would be using it primarily for deer and maybe elk, 300 yards as a general maximum and 500 yards as an extreme maximum (it would have to be 100% all conditions are right scinario and even then I don't like to walk that far or risk an unethical shot). So my question to all of you is have you used a 16.5" 6.5 creedmoor for hunting or at all? Is it effective? Or would you not consider it at all? Also it would be used in the Willamette unit and surrounding area and Eastern Oregon. Thank you for your input!

Thank you v0com13dn0w for your input. I already have a .308... it's not 16 inches, but it's a 308. I'm not overly concerned with what's the longest barrel length it shines with. (Like Shania says "that don't impress me much." Hehehe) Lots of calibers do good or better in longer barrels, I'm more interested in the 16 inch barrel length as opposed to anything longer. I like guns that are light, compact, and handy. But I don't want to buy a gun if I'm gonna be kicking my back side every time I use it for hunting. I understand the effects a shorter barrel has on a bullet, but yet I would like to hear if anyone local or in the Pacific Northwest region has used a 16 barrel and what their thoughts are? How they used it and if they would do it again? I have read on a few other forums that 16 inch barrels do preform favorably for hunting, but I'd like to know the local take.

I use a couple of 16" barrel guns for a lot of my hunting. One is the rifle in my avatar pic. A couple of Tikka T3's that I had cut down and threaded for use with a suppressor. One is a 223 that I primarily use for coyotes, and the other is a 308 that I use for close quarters big game hunting. In my opinion the 308 is better suited to the shortened barrel treatment than the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed looses too much with the short barrel and the 308 can launch heavier bullets. I own other rifles in 6.5 Creed, but primarily use them for match/long distance "recreational" shooting.

You will lose about 200 fps with a 16" barrel compared to a 24". I think you will be fine for deer out to 300. I think the 6.5 creedmoor is marginal past 300 for elk with any barrel length but with a 16" if you kept shots 200 yds or less you should be fine for elk as well.

Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but it aint the stock length that's a problem, its the caliber. Do not use a 6.5 for elk at 300-500 yards. In fact dont use them at 50yards.

Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but it aint the stock length that's a problem, its the caliber. Do not use a 6.5 for elk at 300-500 yards. In fact dont use them at 50yards.
Well we are in agreement with the beyond 300 part but why not under? And at 50 it is pretty much a lead pipe cinch. Do some research on the use of the 6.5 swede in europe on game up to moose. It has a very good track record. The high sectional density of the 6.5 diameter bullet allows for great penetration and with the right bullet choice it will do the job handily.

Well we are in agreement with the beyond 300 part but why not under? And at 50 it is pretty much a lead pipe cinch. Do some research on the use of the 6.5 swede in europe on game up to moose. It has a very good track record. The high sectional density of the 6.5 diameter bullet allows for great penetration and with the right bullet choice it will do the job handily.

Yup, the original 6.5x55 cartridge has been used successfully on elk right up until, well, today.

Starting back in 1895.

Our interpreter/guide back in the 80/90s used an m/38 short rifle that had belonged to his gamekeeper father from 1946 to cull elk for the Norwegian government - maybe 80 - 100 per year. During the war years he was a member of the Ling, the Norwegian resistance group. Prior to that he had the same pattern of shooting to cull, but with the m/96 rifle.

Bullet placement is always critical, 'twas ever thus. In theory you could sneak up on a moose and shoot it in the ear with a .22cal and drop it dead.

Osprey thank you for the input. Belshwelk why is that your opinion?
Because I have been elk hunting a long time. Both as a hunter and a guide( not guide, but helping my buddies or on guided hunts). I have seen lots and lots of elk get shot. For bulls you just need more stopping power. Yes if you hit the vitals or head you can kill them with a .22 but its not realistic all time, especially with all the new long range craze. I now shoot to anchor my critters. I want to break a shoulder and take out vitals if a can. I have seen way to may elk run off with what should be a good hit. I just like big heavy bullets moving fast to kill elk. A 6.5 does not meet that criteria. To me a .270 is marginal for a big bull. Cow elk its fine at moderate ranges. Contrary to all the new 6.5 snipers out there, speed does not kill. It is a factor. Its energy, energy , energy, then mix speed and you have a proper gun. Same with handgun calibers.
I just dont like the new thinking that you can shoot at game at 600-700+ yards. Its not realistic in the real world most times. Too many factors.

Op was not talking about taking any game past 300 as far as I read. I understand your sentiment also but there are people who have the skill and equipment to make those longer shots. It is not my preferred method to shoot long and I aways strive to get as close as possible. I do practice out to 600 -700 yds though. I have been hunting with the creedmoor for 3 seasons now for deer and have killed a deer with it each season. First one was 90yds, second one was 40yds and the third 500yds and change. I had as much or more fulfillment shooting the one at 40yds after a long stalk than the one at 500 plus. It is also satisfying to know if I can't get closer that my rifle and I are both up to the task of making a longer shot if need be. Btw that 500yd plus shot is the longest shot I have attempted at any big game animal and it would suit me just fine if I never took another shot that long. I will continue practicing just in case though. It is my opinion the 6.5 creedmoor is a fine long range deer cartridge and a good med range elk cartridge. As always YMMV.

Last Edited:
Yeah 300 yards is my general max, 500 if all the stars align and the hand of the almighty carries the bullet. Otherwise I have no desire to find out how much packing a deer out that extra 200 yards is going to kick my butt or Elk for that matter. Personally inside of 50yds would be ideal. That and I don't want to risk losing a bullet or animal in the woods. I feel 300 yards or better is smart, ethical, and easier to monitor the surroundings. Also I said maybe on the Elk part, I do have other rifles I can use. It's just good knowing that what I have will work on other big game animals if I were to choose too.

That's a cool story about the 6.5 Swede.
Yup, the original 6.5x55 cartridge has been used successfully on elk right up until, well, today.

Starting back in 1895.

Our interpreter/guide back in the 80/90s used an m/38 short rifle that had belonged to his gamekeeper father from 1946 to cull elk for the Norwegian government - maybe 80 - 100 per year. During the war years he was a member of the Ling, the Norwegian resistance group. Prior to that he had the same pattern of shooting to cull, but with the m/96 rifle.

Bullet placement is always critical, 'twas ever thus. In theory you could sneak up on a moose and shoot it in the ear with a .22cal and drop it dead.

Well here she is, pictured with my 308 for comparison. It feels really good. I had to install the butt stock spacer to adjust the length of pull. I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40mm mounted on both rifles pictured. Now to choose a good factory load for it. Recommendations?

F473AF1A-2F59-483B-921A-B3161A60877D.jpeg DF1F033A-A326-4D73-B229-20E56C39B630.jpeg 0EC37D08-5FBC-44ED-8BC0-FA76DADB1A49.jpeg 424044DE-927B-4930-AA02-AE826806D0AC.jpeg ECAFFAE4-B038-4AA0-9231-79CDEEFF1A9D.jpeg

Took her to a local Hunter sight in day after taking a Saturday at home to figure out what I wanted to shoot. Here is the story:

The orange target was my 25 yard zero at home with 140 gr S&B FMJ target/tactical factory ammo. I tried a few different types of ammo and weights. I ultimately settled on 140 gr ammo as it seemed to preform the best and heaven forbid I forget to pack my ammo this week I can easily acquire 140 gr ammo off the shelf most places from what I have found. I then moved my target out to 100 yds. Did a rough zero before I had to stop for the day. I fired a total of 49 rounds through her and affectionately dubbed her "Bertha" owing to the fact she kicks like a mule. The 140 gr load I chose is the Peter 140 gr PSPCL or also known as Remington Core-Lokt. It seems to be plentiful on the shelves at Bi-Mart and there is a Bi-Mart near the unit I will be hunting. I will say that the S&B 140 gr soft points did better than the Peter's 140 gr and the bullets appeared to be of better quality (not all dinged and snatched up) than the Peter's. Two weeks later I picked up a Dead Air Keymo Muzzle brake from Adaptive Firing Solutions and installed it before going to the sight in day. Had her zeroed in eight rounds. A nice silver dollar sized group. The bottom four shots were full of error on my part, not letting the rifle cool adequately between shots, rushing the shot, and pulling the trigger. So we won't focus on those. The break did a fantastic job of taming the recoil. It felt like a feather brushing up against my shoulder. Still calling her Bertha. I am really excited to take this rifle hunting this year. After the season I will spend more time and be more scientific about what load to shoot with it.

071CE465-AB09-40F6-B7FE-130EBA2FFF6F.jpeg 17267CFF-37FD-4297-AC20-EF481ECEB528.jpeg

So an update that's almost a year over due, I got my first deer last year with the 16.5" 6.5 creedmoor using 140gr Sellior & Bellot soft point ammo. I was going to use the 140gr Peters/Remington, but changed my mind when I got to hunting camp. Beautiful Buck was harvested with 10 minutes left in the day. Making for a long night. Took him with one shot into the vitals at 45 yards down hill. He jumped, ran 10 yards and collapsed and rolled down hill till he came to a stop at the base of a tree as pictured. Fully dressed out he weighed in at 135 pounds hanging at the butcher. I just want to thank everyone for their input on the rifle and caliber combinations.

E07A2DD2-EEFF-4D14-B873-AEB7C3EE1351.jpeg 3C6AC3D0-BD71-4773-8A5B-91D0A57C8B18.jpeg 8BC78FF3-5CC7-4502-8690-05A50D1B0315.jpeg 4249C9CF-CF37-4CB9-832C-827D638E41F5.jpeg C2F3AF28-9954-4A17-B75F-3C0D5AE24E52.jpeg FA276D7B-8DCD-4864-887D-228B24CFF897.jpeg 15D2B6B4-03B2-48AD-8DD0-FE1A433FDE12.jpeg 01781C9A-9F48-4EDE-B36E-93716B2964E2.jpeg 67560A8C-6AA9-4177-9FEC-7C154D030574.jpeg 7FE025EE-C251-49A7-8B76-2CF64E7D9E4B.jpeg

I have a 18" Barrett field Craft (6.5 CM) kicking around. That I enjoy, I never took the time to reload for it. Due to the fact it shot Hornady factory ammo 1/2 MOA or better. I use it as a truck rifle for coyotes. I have shot coyotes out to 470'ish with it. Kills them just as dead as my 23" 6.5 CM with a Bartlein 3B contour. E75ED38A-A246-40E7-B8B0-652BFDB8B4C5.jpeg B857FFA6-FD08-49EA-BD6A-4DEF726F6225.jpeg 120EDBDD-C31A-4D31-A806-ADAB2D2F73DA.jpeg 88DBE9D4-819D-40CB-82CD-C1BAB96E86AB.jpeg
BEED3845-DEE6-441D-A1E8-73E0BEBA8F40.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR