Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

12 Gauge vs 20 Gauge Ballistics

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by snooopidydoo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Medford Oregon Active Member

I was taught 20G and 12G shooting same shot , same size shell were balistically equivalent. BUT the 12g carries more projectiles or more weight in slug. Can anybody share ballistic data between the 2? Mostly interested in hearing the bird shot ballistics, i can not find any information about it online, and none of my reloading manuals show me anything.

2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

3. snooopidydoo

Ya, already did that....

4. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

I'm not sure what you're exactly looking for, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I checked out Remington's website and they list velocities for a wide variety of loads. It appears that they have similar ballistics (same shot size, different load weights) in 2 3/4 and 12ga really gains the advantage when using 3" shells or heavy loads.

5. snooopidydoo

Perfect thank you! that website should be enough for me to figure it out. I am just trying to compare the 2.
    Recent argument regarding shooting distance we're trying to settle lol. I say a 20G will shoot just as far as a 12G using the same shell and shot, you just need to be a better shot with a 20 ;-)..

But i could be wrong...

I shoot 20 and 12 regularly and i have a hard time picking a favorite.

6. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Well the 20 gauge is sure more fun to shoot and will handle most shotgun chores. But for stuff high up like the Quackers you need that extra ooooomph. 12 has the bigger pattern, good for us shooters that can't seem to hit crapola, and with the larger shells a big advantage.

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You are right! Number of pellets in the air are what counts.