JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone. I am currently in the market for a 10mm 1911 with a rail. This will end up being more of a fun shooter and a hunting pistol.
I do have a couple in mind, but I would like to know what you recommend and why.

Which/who all metal 10mm gun makers sells a compact 10mm? Anyone?

10mm is a very versatile caliber. You can use heavy 200-220 grain bullets at 880 fps, or you can fire 135-145 grain Bullets at 1400 fps. This again in a compact frame. If you want hotter, faster, light bullets at 1525 fps, this company will sell you a compact auto too in a different caliber.
Sure, Im talking about Glock. the G40 is the 6" longslide, the compact is 3.78" barrel, the G20 has the 4.6" barrel. 10mm is a fairly high pressure round, and is known to beat up steel guns & frames. Cracked frames too. If I wanted a 10mm I would pick Glock.

I appreciate the input. I have looked at the glock and I own two. I'm not interested in another.
I am however interested in a 1911 variant . I have a few in mind and would like to know thoughts of which 1911 10mm and why.

Pretty happy with my sig tacops, hard to go rong with a dan wesson but just a bit spendy, if i was going to buy another id look at the double stack RIA B4A8032C-EFFC-43F9-A3DA-3CBA8779875F.jpeg

Bushing or bushingless ?
I would want a bushingless, bull barrel for the 10mm.
It weights the gun properly.
Pick up a Ruger and then pick up a Delta.
The Ruger has a much nicer heft.
So there's that.

Single stack or double stack ?
I recently acquired an STI 2011 and I'll tell you, it's nice to have that extra capacity in a 1911 platform.
Especially at the range.

For a budget double stack, Rock Island is one to look at.

So there's a few things to be aware of and to think about pre-purchase.

Bushing or bushingless ?
I would want a bushingless, bull barrel for the 10mm.
It weights the gun properly.
Pick up a Ruger and then pick up a Delta.
The Ruger has a much nicer heft.
So there's that.

Single stack or double stack ?
I recently acquired an STI 2011 and I'll tell you, it's nice to have that extra capacity in a 1911 platform.
Especially at the range.

For a budget double stack, Rock Island is one to look at.

So there's a few things to be aware of and to think about pre-purchase.

so the ones I have been eyeballing where RIA pro tac single stack with bushingless barrel.
sig tac ops and Kimber tlr ll.
If money wasn't an issue I would choose Dan Wesson kodiak.

I may be the only guy on the internet who bought a Kimber that works fine...so I'll recommend them. I have a TLE in 45 and wouldn't mind having another in 10mm. Fit and finish are pretty good and accuracy has been excellent.
Make that 2 guys with flawless running Kimbers! I run the Eclipse Custom single stack 10 mm and I also run both the Rock Island Double stack ( Para Pattern) and finally, the 2011 series 1911 double stack! All run flawlessly, none required tuning, and only the Kimber required a little working in to get the finish off the breach face! The Kimber is a bushing, as is the 2011, but the Rock is a Bull, The advantages of the bushing is you can tune the fit as the gun wears, especially if you run the spherical busing system, which has changable inserts in .005 incriments! Cheaper then replacing and fitting a new barrel!

As to the Compact, DON'T DO IT! A Commander is the smallest I would even consider, and even then, your going to have issues! If you are serious about a 10 mm, you WANT a full size! Don't mess around!
High Pressure rounds like 9 mm and 10 mm tend to cause slide over run issues on the 1911 platform when you shrink them past Commander, and that's difficult to tune out, and potentially dangerous, so don't take on that heart ache!

I may be the only guy on the internet who bought a Kimber that works fine...so I'll recommend them. I have a TLE in 45 and wouldn't mind having another in 10mm. Fit and finish are pretty good and accuracy has been excellent.
All but one of my Kimbers has been 100%. The one pistol was one of their external extractor models which they replaced the slide even though I was the second owner, so I have faith in Kimber to fix anything that may go wrong.

My Kimber 10mm has ran great with all factory loads and with my reloads, even 98-99% with SWC reloads.

so the ones I have been eyeballing where RIA pro tac single stack with bushingless barrel.
sig tac ops and Kimber tlr ll.
If money wasn't an issue I would choose Dan Wesson kodiak.
If you want to stray from 1911, one of the best ways to do that is via the CZ 75B design.
Tanfo (Tanfoglio) Stock III in 10mm is one sweet beast and is a CZ 75 clone.
She's double-stack, heavy metal thunder.
About $900 - $1000 if you can find one.

I've shot the Kimber Camp Guard 10 which is without rail. It is a smooth shooter and after properly tensioning the internal extractor, she runs very well. The "fastback" grip is very nice on 1911s in my hand.

FYI if you plan on firing warm 10mm out of a 1911, I recommend ordering a new firing pin stop with a reduced radius to slow down slide velocity. I've done it for all my own 10mm 1911s and they keep the slide from battering the bubblegum out of the frame.

My vote is for the Dan Wesson Kodiak. I had the Springfield TRP Operator RMR 6" and that thing had issues. Sent it back to Springfield and once I got it back, traded it in.

As to the Compact, DON'T DO IT! A Commander is the smallest I would even consider, and even then, your going to have issues! If you are serious about a 10 mm, you WANT a full size! Don't mess around!
High Pressure rounds like 9 mm and 10 mm tend to cause slide over run issues on the 1911 platform when you shrink them past Commander, and that's difficult to tune out, and potentially dangerous, so don't take on that heart ache!

I can't speak for the 10mm, but just chiming in to say that my DW Guardian in 9mm has 5k rounds on her now and she's going strong. @Cerberus Group saw it during the 1911 Armorer course around the 3k mark and can vouch for it. This commander model, at least, can handle 9mm with ease.

To op: I've had my eye on the Kodiak for awhile...haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, though. But as far as brand is concerned, DW is a winner.

I have several Kimbers and DW's all in .45. However, last October I picked up a RIA double stack 10mm. Has run flawlessly through about 500 rinds now. For the money, you can't beat it. BTW, all my Kimbers have been excellent, by CDC is a Kimber Pro+

20190816_160323.jpg

Thanks everyone. So I have brought it down to three at the moment. It's more of who can get what during every one buying guns right now. Ria 10mm. Glock 40 because I have rmr and a kimber. I expect to beat it up, lots of hunts and if a handgun could be a truck gun it's what I'm looking for. I'll keep you all posted , thanks for all the input. It will be a week to two , everyone seems to be short on supplies.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews