JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know it's not a "Firearm", but apparently you can do more than "Put someone's eye out" with one and a safety class might have helped. I have been shot with a BB gun and I was careful to close my eyes and never was hurt. Modern BB guns seem stronger though.

I'm the kid what got his eye shot out. Well, not out, but I have an astygmatism that could win awards in my right eye due to catching a bb there. I also have a bb in the bone of my skull, just at the base of it. Shooter had put a match head in the muzzle and thought that would be funny, pumped up the gun, and didn't realize there was a bb in there. A tiny fraction lower, the skull wouldn't have stopped penetration - who knows, coulda been that kid above.

The shot in the eye was my greatest lesson in gun safety, when my dad asked me "What if it had been a .22?"

A lot of these new B_B and PELLET guns are to powerful for kids to be use as toys. I have a 177 pellet gun and it shoots at 1200 feet per second just cocking it. (not a pump up) It will rip through a both sides of a tin can and keep right on going. I feel for the family it would be terrible to lose a child.

Kids/people waving around anything "bigger" than a nerf gun will get approached with caution and if needed get an appropriate response from me. To the "but it's just a BB thing" I'll say the same as to those who say 22LR has no use as a defensive round: Are you willing to be on the receiving end?

This is why getting kids to understand dangers or at least develop some courtesy at a young age is not a bad thing.

I know it's not a "Firearm", but apparently you can do more than "Put someone's eye out" with one and a safety class might have helped. I have been shot with a BB gun and I was careful to close my eyes and never was hurt. Modern BB guns seem stronger though.

The Lewis and Clark expedition had an airgun... and PCP airguns are used against all manner of game, I've even heard of PCP being used against the wild boars down south. Boars are some tough tough animals.

There is a line in your post that just made my jaw drop... "I have been shot with a BB gun and I was careful to close my eyes and never was hurt."

I don't think you are saying that closing your eyes is/was a careful thing to do, or in anyway related to gun safety- but the wording sure looks funny.

When I was younger I did lots of foolish things with a BB gun... I think we all make mistakes, and some have higher consequences than others, and most of the time we're lucky, some of the time we're not.

The good education cuts down on the number of mistakes made. It doesn't eliminate them. JMHO.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top