JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, how about this scenario:

1. The bill passes and we have all reached the promised land.
2. People from Oregon and Idaho, and other places that harbor barbarians with guns start visiting CA and NY and NJ and walking around with GUNS!!!!
3. CA, NY, and NJ start complaining to their congress-critters that we need to have a nationally standardized CHL process.
4. CA, NY, and NJ have a large voice in writing the new and improved national standards for obtaining what amounts to a national CHL.
5. After these improvements it now costs $3000 and takes 40 hours of range time, along with the achievement of Distinguished Marksman, with EACH weapon carried, in order to get a CHL.

That's what I worry about.

Oh and don't forget about having some kind of liability insurance for each and registering and possibly being taxed on every firearm as well.

I do understand NOT over reacting, but I also understand the rabbit hole we could all be forced into as well.

Just read the bill for myself, and through all the lines that add, change, or delete sec. 922 of title 18 (blah, blah, blah) I saw nothing (at all) that adds more categories of "crimes" or "mental conditions" to exclude a larger pool of citizens from their 2A rights.

What I saw was an establishment of a cooperative framework between the DOJ and all LEO's ranging from the FBI, DOD branches, States, and Indian Tribal Governments to improve catching bastards like that jackass who killed 26 people in that Texas church.

What I also saw were provisions for "publicly shaming" the above mentioned entities should they not achieve 90% compliance to an already existing law, as well as FINALLY hitting heads of relevant government agencies who fail/refuse to do their bubblegumming jobs properly where it'll actually hurt.... their wallets.

So how did the dims get on board with this aren't they anti-establishment? o_O

I'm anti fix nics because I'm anti infringement (why strengthen BG checks if BG checks are a failure and an infringement in the first place), because I'm extremely distrustful of politicians and bureaucrats (they'll find a way to abuse it if possible, and if not they'll try to parlay it into something more infringing), and because it's hard enough to get pro-gun legislation but nearly impossible to roll back anti-gun legislation. The fact that the anti's are pushing this makes me very leery, and the NRA's support does nothing to reassure me. Maybe GOA is exaggerating the possibilities but I trust them way more than I trust the NRA.

Sometimes the "screamin' weenies" SORELY try my patience.... :rolleyes:

NRA Blasts Misleading Claims Made About Gun Background Check Bill Ahead of House Vote

Stay calm, reload and return fire. o_O;)
I read it, and it pressures agencies to deliver data to NICS, it also enforces accountability. I think we know how feds handle accountability. Red tape. The big fear is the VA data excluding vets with PTSD, which is treatable and statistics show most pose no danger to others and themselves. I would say after reading how vague it is, I would not want to endorse it.

im just excited to not have to ride dirty if i go to another state if i so choose(i work during the week so its tough to get to WA to grt a CHL)

pretty dumb when i cross the bridge i to WA, i have to unload my pistol and put it in the back instead of on me.

When I took my CCP in Oregon I also took the Utah class. Heard they may be changing but current reciprocity is 37 states (or something close) and it includes Washington. Also I never had to leave the state. Just some forms and some cash.

I am seeing a number of posts on line opposing H.R.38. One usually takes the old (at least 2011) National Association for Gun Rights message that H.R.38 is a Trojan Horse: "If the government can require that states must recognize all other states' CCW permits, then in the future the government can require that states MUST NOT recognize other states' CCW permits." The other from GOA opposes H.R.4477: "This deceptive legislation would add hundreds of thousands of additional names into the NICS system, thus blocking thousands of lawful gun owners from purchasing guns for offenses as slight as unpaid traffic tickets. Not only that, it would lay the groundwork for an anti-gun administration to troll every government health and welfare program for the purpose of imposing gun bans on recipients with PTSD, ADHD, and Alzheimer's"

Let's take these arguments for what they really are: Don't allow these bills to become law because SOMEDAY SOMEBODY MAY want to abuse these laws in a way that MIGHT negatively affect IN SOMEWAY our 2nd Amendment rights! How stupid is that? Are these people saying that we should not pass any laws because SOMEDAY SOMEBODY MIGHT want to abuse those laws in a way that MIGHT negatively effect us IN SOMEWAY? We have recourse for such actions in the courts and in the legislature.

H.R.38 is a good bill that we have been fighting for over the past 9 or 10 years! H.R.4477 does not make any changes to Federal law [18 USC § 922 - Unlawful Acts]! H.R.4477 only tries to get federal and state agencies to put the data, that is required, into the NICS database.

You can follow the National Association for Gun Rights and Gun Owners of America (and BTW check their postings for "contribute") and watch these bills follow the same path to oblivion that similar bills have followed for the past 9 or 10 years and then wait until the existing Federal background check laws are repealed, plus wait until all 50 States pass "Constitutional Carry" because "The Constitution is all the permit I need!" or "Bill X.X.NNN is a Trojan Horse!". For my part, I am going to stick with the NRA on this one and I will continue to support passage of H.R.38.

Last Edited:
:rolleyes:But, but, but, what if we get reported for removing mattress tags, or putting pizza boxes in the recycling bin, or putting ketchup on mac n' cheese, or wearing a sock with a hole in the toe, or farting in an elevator, or, or, or.......:rolleyes:

in this day of data breaches and identity theft there are very good reasons to worry about abuse imo.I recently did a background check and found a arrest for speeding over 25mph from 2006,only problem was I was not living in the state it occurred in and I've been in a wheelchair and unable to drive since 2004.Even though it is not a felony,it shows that none of us are immune from false info in this day and age.

Been that way state by state forever.

Simple solution.

Pay your parking tickets.

This absolutely meets the strict interpretation of the law.

So a parking ticket is a felony that would prevent you from buying a gun?

I don't have any parking tickets that I know of. I had one speeding ticket that I tried to pay and WA county returned the check, saying the LEO never filed the ticket, but that he could still file it up to something like a year later. How would I know if something got lost in the mail? How would I know if a parking ticket blew off my car?

I believe that only felonies (or certain classes of misdemeanors) should preclude firearm purchases, not parking tickets.

The whole system is ****** and weighted in favor of government controlling your life.

Heaven forbid that those evil and dangerous people who don't pay their parking tickets should get their hands on a gun! :eek: :rolleyes:

So a parking ticket is a felony that would prevent you from buying a gun?

I don't have any parking tickets that I know of. I had one speeding ticket that I tried to pay and WA county returned the check, saying the LEO never filed the ticket, but that he could still file it up to something like a year later. How would I know if something got lost in the mail? How would I know if a parking ticket blew off my car?

I believe that only felonies (or certain classes of misdemeanors) should preclude firearm purchases, not parking tickets.

The whole system is ****** and weighted in favor of government controlling your life.

Heaven forbid that those evil and dangerous people who don't pay their parking tickets should get their hands on a gun! :eek: :rolleyes:
TL;DR

No. Being a fugitive is. Pay your parking tickets. Geez is it that difficult?

Last Edited:
The problem is not H.R.38 or H.R.4477! The problem is that the definitions in Federal law [18 USC § 922 - Unlawful Acts] are overly broad and subject to interpretations that include people, who are not adjudicated, through due process and recourse of law as a danger to themselves and/or others, being identified as ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition. 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful Acts is the problem and it is exacerbated by the "Gun Safety[?]" followers purposefully expanding the definitions to include as many people as possible. 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful Acts needs to be fixed, not the laws that incorporate it. But, that is a different discussion than H.R.38!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top