JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Years ago I would throw them out because they take up space. After a while, I realized there's some value in keeping the original case when you sell them. The value can be minimal but space is valuable

Handguns:

Boxes, no. Could definitely see saving boxes though of any firearms that have "premium" type collector value as reasonable.

Cases, yes. Dunno why really, rarely used. Suppose just "because".

Rifles:

Most boxes now recycled. Some saved, those are associated with long guns of sentimental value.

Some came with cases, which I saved. Rarely used. Suppose just "because".

New home has a large semi-finished attic section, like an artist studio. However has zero HVAC. So perfect storage space for anything not needing HVAC, and light enough to haul up yonder. Seasonal stuff & ...unused cases.

I do have a stack of cardboard rifle boxes I need to throw away. No idea why I've kept them.

Pistol boxes can have a use. I've used them for truck toolboxes, small parts carriers and the best use is for stuffing your socks and undies in your carry-on when flying somewhere.

Do you save your pistol cases or toss them? What impact on resale does not having a case make?
Boxes/cases and original paperwork can translate into $$.
Sometimes Big $$$$$$$$.
If you have the time and inclination, do a search for S&W boxes.
Boxes for nickel plated guns. Registered Magnums, Pre War, etc.
Some of the numbers are pretty substantial.
😳😳

Not only do I keep boxes but I buy them at yard sales. A PU full of old Ruger boxes brought over $1000 . some of them went for over $20. and those were just empty boxes. Before you chuck those boxes post them for sale. DR

Ruger pistol boxes. Oh my God. I make suppressed integrals out of them then being a couple of inches longer they no longer fit the cases. Dozens of them sitting around.

Not only do I keep boxes but I buy them at yard sales. A PU full of old Ruger boxes brought over $1000 . some of them went for over $20. and those were just empty boxes. Before you chuck those boxes post them for sale. DR
If I had the scratch to buy enough guns to fill a pickup with their boxes, I wouldn't be worried about $1000 methinks

I keep my pistol cases in case I need to return the pistol for any reason. The only one I did keep was my cardboard box that contained my S&W 686-1 back in 1987.

Another vote for keeping them, just makes moving them along more complete for the buyer. If buying used I give preference to those who have boxes, original paperwork and accessories. Unless of course it's such a smoking, can't pass this up deal…

Yep, I keep the handgun boxes (plastic or otherwise). Certainly takes up space but is what it is. I burned a bunch of cardboard rifle boxes some time back. Some I wished I had kept. Going forward I will probably keep 'em all 'cause I'm thinking they may help with resale. Don't really know...

On a couple occasions I have had to send a firearm in for repair / tune. The boxes came in handy for this.

I toss them. I realize they do hold a little value, but the clutter in the garage is a bigger hindedance than a neat, organized space with tools/items that I regularly need. I have a rule that if I don't use an item in about 1-2 years, it's out, or given to somebody. Just too easy to live with trash. Most of the junk we care about is going in the trash anyways after we die, so what's the point of holding onto it for a few years? Collector items are different, but most boxes go in the trash around here.

I keep all the boxes... maybe some rifle boxes go, just because of space, and I cringe when they go into the fire.

It does give an air of legitimacy to the deal at resale, I have found. Maybe some people store the gun in it? I have a safe full of guns and a shelf full of empty boxes.

I keep 'em all. Even the cardboard rifle boxes.
Yup - ditto - pretty much.

But then, I also save some Amazon boxes - until they pile up - then I burn them. At least the gun boxes have something in them - some of them. Almost all of the handgun containers are plastic hardshell so are convenient to store guns in. Keep guns in containers helps reduce damage to them from them getting moved around.

I did just get some cheap Plano rifle cases from Amazon - better than a soft case (barely). If I need to move a long gun then they are convenient for that too. The problem with unmarked cases is that long guns go "missing" sometimes when I go looking for them - then I find them after having to open a dozen or more cases - then I go "phew - I didn't lose it after all".

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top