JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you ever have to use a knife in self defense, you want it to be a plain ol knife that looks like a tool. If you are charged by a Portland prosecutor, the jury will look at a 'tactical' knife and think it is evil just like they think an AR is an evil black gun.
I collect auto knives and balisongs. I do not carry either for this reason. If it is a evil looking knife, the jury will think you are an evil person.
We know a serrated knife is for cutting rope. The prosecutor will tell the jury it is for ripping flesh and cutting bone.
Example of what not to carry:

Dalton-2.jpg

If you ever have to use a knife in self defense, you want it to be a plain ol knife that looks like a tool. If you are charged by a Portland prosecutor, the jury will look at a 'tactical' knife and think it is evil just like they think an AR is an evil black gun.
I collect auto knives and balisongs. I do not carry either for this reason. If it is a evil looking knife, the jury will think you are an evil person.
We know a serrated knife is for cutting rope. The prosecutor will tell the jury it is for ripping flesh and cutting bone.

View attachment 1885508
Just carry one of these on your belt and around here people will think you are just another hipster into rennasaince stuff or something. I doubt anyone woudl even give it a second glance tbh. Somewhere else though may be totally different. Or of course if you were waving it around out of the sheath then that's different.

22B261A4-225D-40D0-9CAB-E156C4552E6B.jpeg
C677428D-77E9-4A6D-8D89-68CDDFB7AE4A.jpeg
View: https://youtu.be/Z0mYHjFlh74?si=w33n1DuHvXkr42Eo

In my first post here...
I posted my actual fighting knife...I used it as such when on deployment when in the Army.

Something to consider here...
There is a world of difference between knife fighting...and self defense....at least as how the law would look at it...I would guess.
I would avoid the use of the word "fighting knife" .....ifin' I was involved in a self defense situation.
Andy

I usually only carry this in the woods. But I think it wouldn't do too bad if needed in a self defense roll! 22mag NAA Mini Master, Esee Junglas, and a bic. Safety orange and green as to reduce alarm to hikers, and find easier if needed.

20230622_232103.jpg 20230622_232143.jpg

My preferred fighting knife. Preferably on the end of a rifle… what can I say? I like versatility! You can stabbem, shootem, stabbem then shootem, or shootem then stabbem! To quote one of the great philosophers of our time, Jane Cobb: "I just get excitable as to choice- like to have my options open."

IMG_8468.jpeg IMG_8466.jpeg

Old school KaBar
The originator of the KA-BAR trademark, Union Cutlery Co, began using the name in 1923, having received a letter from a fur trapper who had used the knife to kill a wounded bear which attacked him when his rifle jammed. According to company records, the letter was only partially legible; "ka bar" could be read, as fragments of the phrase "kill a bear"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka-Bar#:~:text=The originator of the KA,him when his rifle jammed.

BTW, The KA-BAR is also made in a "Dogs Head" non USMC version..
20240512_124612.jpg

Like others have said, not my go to in a fight but more of a backup.
CRKT M16-13FX. All of my knives are CRKT since my brother works for them, I get a good deal when I need one or an occasional free gift :)

1716485721664.png

In my first post here...
I posted my actual fighting knife...I used it as such when on deployment when in the Army.

Something to consider here...
There is a world of difference between knife fighting...and self defense....at least as how the law would look at it...I would guess.
I would avoid the use of the word "fighting knife" .....ifin' I was involved in a self defense situation.
Andy
Yes, however, in CA and NY these are all assault knives. To be compliant, they would require you to blunt the tip, dull the edges OR have it permanently sheathed.

Yes, however, in CA and NY these are all assault knives. To be compliant, they would require you to blunt the tip, dull the edges OR have it permanently sheathed.
Not quite my point ( pun intended )
Nor do I care what CA and NY does or think.

What I was trying to get across was :
Knife fighting...is vastly different than self defense.
Different mindset for both...different reactions from those who may have to judge your actions.
Andy

Not quite my point ( pun intended )
Nor do I care what CA and NY does or think.
Yikes. This was taken way too seriously.

And my point was that attributing an action to an inanimate object without any situational context is laughable and as ridiculous as leftists assigning "assault" to a "weapon." I can fight or defend myself with any object. I see nothing about these blades that makes them specifically useful for fighting.
What a predatory prosecutor decides to make of a slang term in a defense case isn't my concern because I wouldn't be the one speaking, my lawyer would.

I would never use the term fighting knife in normal discourse. I recognized what OP was referring to, however. IMO, they're multi-use knives. In the context of my life, mainly utility and camping knives.

Last Edited:
Yikes. This was taken way too seriously.

And my point was that attributing an action to an inanimate object without any situational context is laughable and as ridiculous as leftists assigning "assault" to a "weapon." I can fight or defend myself with any object. I see nothing about these blades that makes them specifically useful for fighting.
What a predatory prosecutor decides to make of a slang term in a defense case isn't my concern because I wouldn't be the one speaking, my lawyer would.

I would never use the term fighting knife in normal discourse. I recognized what OP was referring to, however. IMO, they're multi-use knives. In the context of my life, mainly utility and camping knives.
You may consider-reading or re-reading my first post here in this thread. ( #29 )
Mostly for the last bit of what you posted and I quoted.
Andy

Edit to add :
I did not say that my knife was anything other than a Blackjack Model 5.
I did say that it was used as a Field knife and a fighting knife , but nowadays is used as a hunting and camp knife.
However I never called it anything other than its model number / name.
To me it is and always will be just a knife...albeit a useful one...with lots of memories.

Last Edited:
You may consider-reading or re-reading my first post here in this thread.
Hey I appreciate you Andy. Sorry, my earlier post (90) was a sideways and probably pretty weak attempt at a joke. I think we misread each other. I came home in a certain mood after dealing with people all day. And I thank you for your service to our country, sir.

Hey I appreciate you Andy. Sorry, my earlier post (90) was a sideways and probably pretty weak attempt at a joke. I think we misread each other. I came home in a certain mood after dealing with people all day. And I thank you for your service to our country, sir.
No worries...much is lost with electronic only communication...which can easily lead to misunderstandings.

Thank you for the clarification...and the thanks for my service...both are very appreciated.
Andy

@Joe13 Cold Steel SRK Knife above. Why is the orange version 3x the price of the black one?

Haven't bought a knife in years but bought so many I often give them as BD and Xmas gifts. Always gets a good reaction. Others: A nice shirt, a lamp, some socks. Me: Here, a Rambo III knife nice to have near your bed.

What bring you good luck Rambo? "I guess this ......"

View attachment 1885508
If you are being charged by a prosecutor It means your actions where not justifiable and your screwed no matter what weapon you used, if you use a dagger to defend yourself it can be a justifiable self-defense but you can still face weapon charges for the illegal weapon.

If you are being charged by a prosecutor It means your actions where not justifiable and your screwed no matter what weapon you used, if you use a dagger to defend yourself it can be a justifiable self-defense but you can still face weapon charges for the illegal weapon.
Around here being charged or not by a prosecutor may simply mean you have the wrong politics or don't belong to a certain class.

Hopefully that's changing though now that we have voted out the Soros-funded antifa district attorney. We'll see.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads