JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hate to admit it but this little Model 36 is my baby. It's super simple to load for but when you pick it up and pull the trigger it's just amazing. I really like the 3-in barrel and it's got all the good things that make it an old Smith & Wesson a work of art. It's an absolute pleasure to load for it.

It just eats anything 38. It especially seems to like my powder coated 125s. Out of all the guns I have for some reason this little bugger has captured my heart.

Anybody else got a gun like that that they just look forward to reloading for?

View attachment 1373642
I want that gun but in the next generation.

Why so...?
Just dry the gun...then oil it up....
They do make black powder cleaners....so folks even buy 'em and use 'em.....:D
Andy
I don't know there's something about water getting anywhere near my gun in the northwest that makes me freak out haha. If I get a chance to get up your way I promise I'll wear my cowboy hat if I'm shooting that colt. Can we get some pictures good Lord I do love old revolvers.

Tough question, considering I lode for everything I shoot, except .22 lr…

I'd say .38/.357 is the most fun to load for, followed by .45 LC. Then 9mm and .38 Super…. Followed by .45 ACP…

Revolvers get the nod nowadays, just tired of bending to gather brass spit out by the semiautos.

Tough question, considering I lode for everything I shoot, except .22 lr…

I'd say .38/.357 is the most fun to load for, followed by .45 LC. Then 9mm and .38 Super…. Followed by .45 ACP…

Revolvers get the nod nowadays, just tired of bending to gather brass spit out by the semiautos.
Why do you suppose 38 and 357 are so fun to load for? I have the same experience. Maybe it's all the choices and the fact that it's very utilitarian. Gosh I cast my own bullets and sometimes it's hard to make a choice on what I want because there are so darn many choices. Perhaps I have answered my own question:p

Why do you suppose 38 and 357 are so fun to load for? I have the same experience. Maybe it's all the choices and the fact that it's very utilitarian. Gosh I cast my own bullets and sometimes it's hard to make a choice on what I want because there are so darn many choices. Perhaps I have answered my own question:p
Many different combinations of bullet weights, types and powders to tinker with. And as long as you're not loading out to the limits, they're typically pretty forgiving. Like you I also cast my own, so that adds another dimension to the equation.

Can load out mouse fart rounds for playing with and introducing new shooters to the .38 special. Then you can load out to +P for more serious work. Working with the .38 cases is simplistic, large enough to handle without issue. I find it forgiving and satisfying to load for.

Many different combinations of bullet weights, types and powders to tinker with. And as long as you're not loading out to the limits, they're typically pretty forgiving. Like you I also cast my own, so that adds another dimension to the equation.

Can load out mouse fart rounds for playing with and introducing new shooters to the .38 special. Then you can load out to +P for more serious work. Working with the .38 cases is simplistic, large enough to handle without issue. I find it forgiving and satisfying to load for.
Interestingly, that little Model 36 really loves the Lee 125s powder coated. My Model 66-0 loves the Lee 105s that @Certaindeaf turned me onto and they have so little recoil that they are outstanding for new shooters. My model 27-2 likes hardcore 158 grain with some h110 under them. They have some snort. If you shot them at dusk you'd probably lose your night vision

148 gr hollow base wadcutters over Unique have worked extremely well in my 642, I've been playing around with Red Dot/Promo and both the 148 gr hbwc's as well as 158 gr Lee swc cast by yours truly. Still honing those in…

148 gr hollow base wadcutters over Unique have worked extremely well in my 642, I've been playing around with Red Dot/Promo and both the 148 gr hbwc's as well as 158 gr Lee swc cast by yours truly. Still honing those in…
148 grain button nose lees work well in all three of my guns. Red Dot loves the 38 for target loads. I was thinking about trying to cast some super soft projectiles and powder coating them just to see where the line is where the leading starts. That powder coating works so well I almost think you might be able to shoot something dead soft if it wasn't overpowered. Seems like you could get some really good expansion.

My favorite would have to be my Contender wildcat, .357 Maximum necked down to .257. A quarter isn't safe at 100 yards and, blasphemy!!, I load it on a Dillon 550 as God and Mike Dillon intended. .45 Colt, and .45-70 make me smile thinking of the money I'm saving. .40S&W and .45ACP make me smile because I like using mechanical things that work well, the Dillon SDB this time. My wildcat and Jeannie's 8mm-06AI are the best though because there is no choice. Load it yourself or don't shoot it.

What my Contender can do;
1677487253445.jpeg
1677487283536.jpeg

1677487317940.jpeg

I told you all what it is, maybe I should show it.
Ruger 77 MKII that started life as a "boat paddle" left over from Bi-Mart. I use Ballistic Tip bullets for deer and would use partitions if I hunted elk (haven't done that for several years). I stick with 180gr bullets, only because I haven't taken the time to try anything different.

20201202_201443.jpg Ladder test ammo.jpg 61gr RL22 180 Ballistic tip.jpg

Last Edited:
All of them.
To expand a bit on this. I really enjoy the alchemy aspect of reloading. The research and thought process that goes into that first loading of a new caliber and then the first firing I think is the best part. Then moving forward, what do I want to do different and with what expected results? After all the thinking and fiddling, it's just a matter of pulling the lever over and over again.

My favorite is my FIRST (not firearm)…. Hand loading during shortages…. I don't know if I was saving initially but the first 40 rnds I ever loaded cut my group size in half if not better at 100yrds. I was HOOKED

12.7/42mm (.50 Beowulf)
300-500grn projectile
26-45 grn powder range (in my book)
Straight wall AR cartridge with similar power to 45-70
It's not as big as some rifle cartridges but dumping that much powder feels explosive.

This one started me down the rabbit hole and since load 7 different cartridges over couple years…. I still verify much consider myself novice but im not intimidated at all. I think a straight wall was a good way for me to start. My favorite part of loading is still pressing in primers….somehow gratifying and setting the point of no return.

I hate to admit it but this little Model 36 is my baby. It's super simple to load for but when you pick it up and pull the trigger it's just amazing. I really like the 3-in barrel and it's got all the good things that make it an old Smith & Wesson a work of art. It's an absolute pleasure to load for it.

It just eats anything 38. It especially seems to like my powder coated 125s. Out of all the guns I have for some reason this little bugger has captured my heart.

Anybody else got a gun like that that they just look forward to reloading for?

View attachment 1373642
Yep, my model 36 S&W, a (revolver) S&W M&P pre-model 10, Colt Police Positive Special .38, S&W Highway Patrolman .357, Colt Python .357. I see a pattern there. I also load .44 mag for a Redhawk and western-style pistol and Rossi carbine.
I like the 125gr in .38/.357. Have also played around with soft lead bullets for the .38s including upside-down hollow-base wadcutters.

We will will have to meet up and do that some day...
Forum member EPS has shot my 1860 Army...even has pictures of it ....that was a fun day.
Andy
I once got to shoot a gen-u-wine Colt 1860 Army of known Rebel/Texas provenance. It has been in a friend's family since The War. For an antiquarian such as myself it was a privilege.. It was the second BP I ever shot- the first being a Ruger Old Army I was dumb enuff to trade off...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top