JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You going to hate me a little. I had a M1 carbine and had to sell it to my brother in order to come up with the cash for a 1966 Chevelle rolling chassis I was buying) Then one day at my father inlaws he brings out a really really nice M1 Garand and hands it to my brother in law. I asked who do I have to kill to get one of those. He says he's the armorer for his VFW post and if I can get him a Carbine he will find me a Garand!!!!! Well next Rickreall gun show I see Louie Pool with a couple of the Korean Armory bring backs and I pick out a decent looking one ask Louie whats the best deal I can work out. He ends up taking one of my little hunting knives for $75.00 off of $250. I had a good show so went home with a Carbine. Which I gave to my Father inlaw and out of his bedroom comes a really nice Springfield M1 Garand.

Fast forward maybe 10-12 years and the old fart dies (never got along with him) his son is handling the estate I get the wife to tell brother I want the Carbine back as well as a very early one of my knives I made him so they could both be passed down to my son (his grandson) The brother agrees.

What I got back was the same Korean return Inland carbine but he had Rasped off the rack number painted on the stock as well as rasped away on the wrist and pistol grip part of the stock. Luckily he did not work on anything metal. SO I went off to Numrich Arms and bought a repop stock (turned out it was made by Boyds) I removed the Boyds finish and oiled it up and made a really really nice original looking carbine. As to value I don't care it won't ever be sold it goes to my son when I am gone or in a good mood.
If it's a shooter it's a shooter. You are right I hate you a little bit :p . Both of the ones I had were plainfields and they were absolute junk. Gosh I would love to find a rockola

Not so much one gun as it is the type. I like loading for my bolt guns because the ammo I make for them is custom for that rifle. It's not like cranking out 9mm on the Dillon, it's a long winded one-at-a-time labor of love
I'm with him. 30-06, 45-70, 308 and 30-30 are the "funnest" for me for the same reason. Each round is a labor of love and a real kick in the shorts when you get them dialed in purpose specific. (deer, elk, moose, etc.)

Maybe it's just the precison factor or the end reward that makes it more enjoyable to see the results of your efforts. With an actual game animal, I have to admit, it's incredibly interesting to get in there and really be able to examine the wound patterns. Great feedback for future load modifications.

I'm with him. 30-06, 45-70, 308 and 30-30 are the "funnest" for me for the same reason. Each round is a labor of love and a real kick in the shorts when you get them dialed in purpose specific. (deer, elk, moose, etc.)

Maybe it's just the precison factor or the end reward that makes it more enjoyable to see the results of your efforts. With an actual game animal, I have to admit, it's incredibly interesting to get in there are really be able to examine the wound patterns.
There is no doubt that making a cartridge that knocks off a critter is very gratifying when the need is there. When my mom had a farm out in Gaston Oregon I used to go out and shoot gophers in the hay field. I started out doing it with a 12 gauge but it wasn't very challenging ( and perhaps a little macabre👀). So I switched to my 38s with my hand loads and by golly I knocked off a bunch. Sometimes from 25 yards even and a gopher isn't a very big target. It's a pretty incredible feeling to watch your ammo perform that way. Especially when you're casting your own bullets. It's a good feeling to know you made something high quality that works well.

@Andy54Hawken what say you good sir? What is your favorite fire belching black powder smoke stick?
That would be be my Hawken Rifle....
I got to 20 odd years ago....and been shooting it almost exclusively ever since.
.54 caliber...walnut stocked , steel furniture goodness....LOL
80 grains of 2F , a .10 patch , and a .530 round ball...works well for many different things.

His Hawken. Everyone and their hamster knows that
While that is very true...this is a close second.
My J.Henry flintlock Trade Rifle circa 1800 -1820.
.58 caliber.....still gets shot from time to time.
Andy

That would be be my Hawken Rifle....
I got to 20 odd years ago....and been shooting it almost exclusively ever since.
.54 caliber...walnut stocked , steel furniture goodness....LOL
80 grains of 2F , a .10 patch , and a .530 round ball...works well for many different things.

While that is very true...this is a close second.
My J.Henry flintlock Trade Rifle circa 1800 -1820.
.58 caliber.....still gets shot from time to time.
Andy
Goodness gracious you have the patience of Job man. Those are beautiful. I've been thinking about making some black powder 38 for my revolvers but golly gee I don't want to do the cleaning

I like my 4" S&W, it shoots so nice!!! I load mouse farts for it and love that dull thud sound on steel plates... I shot a hot load once, went to the room and pulled the other 5!!!
It loves TiteGroup or Bullseye powders and pretty coated bullets. :p

I don't get out much I hang out right here. I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. Plus I want to know if he's got some black powder revolvers he likes to shoot and reload of course, because you kind of have to :p
I do have some black powder revolvers....
A Colt '51 Navy from 1863....a Colt '60 Army from 1868 ...And a Uberti London Model '51 Navy replica.
Andy

Goodness gracious you have the patience of Job man. Those are beautiful. I've been thinking about making some black powder 38 for my revolvers but golly gee I don't want to do the cleaning
Hot water and soap is a good cleaner for black powder....Windex with ammonia is good field cleaner...spray it all down...wipe it off...
Clean with hot water and soap...dry and oil....done.
Easier than it sounds.
Andy

Favorite would be the 444 Marlin.
So easy. Had it dialed in decades ago.
And for fun, sometimes will load a 44 caliber hydrashok or gold dot for spectacular water filled milk jug explosions.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top