JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hate to admit it but this little Model 36 is my baby. It's super simple to load for but when you pick it up and pull the trigger it's just amazing. I really like the 3-in barrel and it's got all the good things that make it an old Smith & Wesson a work of art. It's an absolute pleasure to load for it.

It just eats anything 38. It especially seems to like my powder coated 125s. Out of all the guns I have for some reason this little bugger has captured my heart.

Anybody else got a gun like that that they just look forward to reloading for?

16774506584383327782864281166823.jpg

1911.45 ACP is the easiest caliber I load for and had the most fun monkeying around with loads for.

Last Edited:
Probably 9mm because I reload and shoot it exponentially more than any other caliber I own. I have experimented with grain weights, bullet shapes, coatings, powders etc. Trying to achieve the most accurate ammo I can at a reasonable cost in that particular firearm.

There is no doubt that straight wall handgun cartridges are the easiest to load. That's part of the reason why I run off many hundreds at a time when I eventually do get around to loading. The two parts about not picking up brass or worrying about a round functioning the action make a revolver a handloader's dream, but I load 45s up several hundred at a time, too. I don't load handgun rounds very often this way. When I do, it's more of a chore than a pleasure.
The above just means that I can geek out on the ammo I need for my 30-06AI hunting rifle. This is my favorite one to load for. I spend more time per round, by far, compared to the handgun rounds I crank out, and I find it enjoyable.
I am also looking forward to the opportunity to load up for a few new rifles I've acquired in cartridges I've never loaded for. To me a new cartridge is always fun and it's been far too long since I took the opportunity.

I would say either my .218 Bee or .222 Remington Magnum, because I've got a huge smile on my face thinking about how much money I'm saving over having to buy factory ammo. That's if it was even obtainable. :p

Not so much one gun as it is the type. I like loading for my bolt guns because the ammo I make for them is custom for that rifle. It's not like cranking out 9mm on the Dillon, it's a long winded one-at-a-time labor of love

I shoot my 1911 more than any thing else these days, so .45 acp is my favorite, trying various loads ,same ol' same ol' is just boring, I like to buy some bullets here and there, try a range of powders, etc. just so the reloading stays fun.
we shoot steel plates,kind of informally,here in Florence so the ol' 1911 needs lots of feed

I would say either my .218 Bee or .222 Remington Magnum, because I've got a huge smile on my face thinking about how much money I'm saving over having to buy factory ammo. That's if it was even obtainable. :p
I totally get that I have a 1907 Winchester that there is no way I could afford to shoot if I didn't make my own cases for it. My second favorite cartridge would be my 1907 in 351 Winchester. That doggone little 36 is just an absolute joy to shoot. I keep tweaking my 38 loads just for that little gun. I got a soft spot for it.

I shoot my 1911 more than any thing else these days, so .45 acp is my favorite, trying various loads ,same ol' same ol' is just boring, I like to buy some bullets here and there, try a range of powders, etc. just so the reloading stays fun.
we shoot steel plates,kind of informally,here in Florence so the ol' 1911 needs lots of feed
Gosh 1911s are so cool. If I can find one I like that might be my next purchase. Honestly, I'm ashamed I don't have one

A pair of Automag IV's in 45 Win Mag.
230 grain XTP over 26.5 grains of H110 for
1600 fps outta one, 1550 from the other.
The process is a 50 round batch with one step at a time. 26.5 grains, not about that, or plus or minus a bit....exactly 26.50 grains.
I enjoy the making of the Fun!

Joe

Screenshot_20210721-135227_Gallery.jpg thumbnail (1).jpeg

A pair of Automag IV's in 45 Win Mag.
230 grain XTP over 26.5 grains of H110 for
1600 fps outta one, 1550 from the other.
The process is a 50 round batch with one step at a time. 26.5 grains, not about that, or plus or minus a bit....exactly 26.50 grains.
I enjoy the making of the Fun!

Joe

View attachment 1373799 View attachment 1373800
There you go. Nice.

I have two and both because they save me SOOOO much money

30-40 Krag almost impossible to find factory ammo and last time I did was ten years ago and it was over $2.00 a round. I can reload for the same as it costs to reload .308win as it uses the same components. And gets almost the same results. (my rifle is a Model 1895 Winchester so full power loads are no problem for it)

.30 M1 have you seen what the factory stuff sells for!!! Plus the only thing you can find is FMJ I load a 125gr Sierra HP FP that was designed for the Tubular magazines (when I can find it) and get excellent results from both the Carbine and the Blackhawk (WEAR HEARING PROTECTION WITHIN 50 YARDS OF THIS PISTOL ITS VERY LOUD AND VERY SHARP)

And once I start shooting it I am sure 45-70gov will get added to this list both for the savings and the variety of loads I can make. Again my rifle is a 1885 Winchester so it is designed for much hotter loads then the factory stuff unless you buy really expensive stuff.

I have two and both because they save me SOOOO much money

30-40 Krag almost impossible to find factory ammo and last time I did was ten years ago and it was over $2.00 a round. I can reload for the same as it costs to reload .308win as it uses the same components. And gets almost the same results. (my rifle is a Model 1895 Winchester so full power loads are no problem for it)

.30 M1 have you seen what the factory stuff sells for!!! Plus the only thing you can find is FMJ I load a 125gr Sierra HP FP that was designed for the Tubular magazines (when I can find it) and get excellent results from both the Carbine and the Blackhawk (WEAR HEARING PROTECTION WITHIN 50 YARDS OF THIS PISTOL ITS VERY LOUD AND VERY SHARP)

And once I start shooting it I am sure 45-70gov will get added to this list both for the savings and the variety of loads I can make. Again my rifle is a 1885 Winchester so it is designed for much hotter loads then the factory stuff unless you buy really expensive stuff.
Man I would love to have a 30 carbine. I've had a couple but so far they haven't been worth keeping. I still have the dies. The doggone price keeps going up

Man I would love to have a 30 carbine. I've had a couple but so far they haven't been worth keeping. I still have the dies. The doggone price keeps going up
You going to hate me a little. I had a M1 carbine and had to sell it to my brother in order to come up with the cash for a 1966 Chevelle rolling chassis I was buying) Then one day at my father inlaws he brings out a really really nice M1 Garand and hands it to my brother in law. I asked who do I have to kill to get one of those. He says he's the armorer for his VFW post and if I can get him a Carbine he will find me a Garand!!!!! Well next Rickreall gun show I see Louie Pool with a couple of the Korean Armory bring backs and I pick out a decent looking one ask Louie whats the best deal I can work out. He ends up taking one of my little hunting knives for $75.00 off of $250. I had a good show so went home with a Carbine. Which I gave to my Father inlaw and out of his bedroom comes a really nice Springfield M1 Garand.

Fast forward maybe 10-12 years and the old fart dies (never got along with him) his son is handling the estate I get the wife to tell brother I want the Carbine back as well as a very early one of my knives I made him so they could both be passed down to my son (his grandson) The brother agrees.

What I got back was the same Korean return Inland carbine but he had Rasped off the rack number painted on the stock as well as rasped away on the wrist and pistol grip part of the stock. Luckily he did not work on anything metal. SO I went off to Numrich Arms and bought a repop stock (turned out it was made by Boyds) I removed the Boyds finish and oiled it up and made a really really nice original looking carbine. As to value I don't care it won't ever be sold it goes to my son when I am gone or in a good mood.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top