JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When we bought our latest "Hot Rod", Wife was again talking about selling our little Kia we have had since new in box but don't use any more. I told her the way things are going I want to hang onto that. Thing gets mid 30's in town, low 40's highway, so if we screw around and end up with a 73 gas crunch again that thing could come in handy :D
I had a Kia Rio for a while. Zippy little car that got 33MPG around town with me driving it like a teenager.
I ended up giving it to my son, but I really liked that little car.

I had a Kia Rio for a while. Zippy little car that got 33MPG around town with me driving it like a teenager.
I ended up giving it to my son, but I really liked that little car.
That's the one we have. With 6 speed manual. When I use it now and then I run it wide open and still get amazing mileage. When we bought it we had just moved to the far side of the damn county. So wanted something easy on gas we could share. Was looking for one of these a couple years old. This one was cheaper new as they were having a real hard time selling them. Seems not many still know how to drive a standard any more so the dealers could not get rid of these.

Slightly off topic but my wife drives a Toyota Avalon Hybrid and it gets 43 mpg city or highway. Her parents were from the Depression and her dad was so thrifty that it cost him a lot of money over time. They lived seventeen miles from town and when they were not home, he turned the water heater off. That included a trip to town and back. He had a 80's Chevy diesel pickup and his wife had a Cadillac. When he changed the oil in the Cadillac he would use the used oil in the diesel pickup, and he destroyed the engine. I have a lot more but I suspect you get the picture.

The 1983 Oldsmobile Ciera FWD 2 door, with 13" wheels, 3 speed auto, 2.5 FI Iron duke boat anchor.. did average 40mpg when I drove it around... but took a couple minutes to get to highway speeds :s0140: sometimes I wonder how good it would have done, if I had given it the DOHC 4 cyl engine from the N-bodies/Twin Cam Saturn engines, I think those were 2.4L? Lighter block, DOHC, higher HP, closer power to the iron block EFI Buick 3.8Ls of the late 80s, early 90s. Edit. The 2.4LDOHCs were in Grand Ams, Skylarks, Olds Calais 442 FWD N-bodies, and then rebadged as TwinCam for the Saturns. They did 160-180hp SAE Net, and the 2.5L Iron Duke did 80-85hp SAE Net; so nearly double the power with less weight in theory would mean a quicker car, maybe similar mpg

This one actually gets good gas mileage...as long as you stay off the hammer. Scale weight of 2340 lbs and the Webers just sip along until you hit the main jets at 2000 rpm. But by the time you look over at the speedo in front of the passenger seat your doing 85 to 90 so who cares about mpg after that point.

PXL_20230526_221102834.jpg

Last Edited:
The 1983 Oldsmobile Ciera FWD 2 door, with 13" wheels, 3 speed auto, 2.5 FI Iron duke boat anchor.. did average 40mpg when I drove it around... but took a couple minutes to get to highway speeds :s0140: sometimes I wonder how good it would have done, if I had given it the DOHC 4 cyl engine from the N-bodies/Twin Cam Saturn engines, I think those were 2.4L? Lighter block, DOHC, higher HP, closer power to the iron block EFI Buick 3.8Ls of the late 80s, early 90s. Edit. The 2.4LDOHCs were in Grand Ams, Skylarks, Olds Calais 442 FWD N-bodies, and then rebadged as TwinCam for the Saturns. They did 160-180hp SAE Net, and the 2.5L Iron Duke did 80-85hp SAE Net; so nearly double the power with less weight in theory would mean a quicker car, maybe similar mpg
Quad4

Slightly off topic but my wife drives a Toyota Avalon Hybrid and it gets 43 mpg city or highway. Her parents were from the Depression and her dad was so thrifty that it cost him a lot of money over time. They lived seventeen miles from town and when they were not home, he turned the water heater off. That included a trip to town and back. He had a 80's Chevy diesel pickup and his wife had a Cadillac. When he changed the oil in the Cadillac he would use the used oil in the diesel pickup, and he destroyed the engine. I have a lot more but I suspect you get the picture.
I have known a few people like that over the years. Normally people who lived through some REAL tough times. I sometimes have to force myself to toss out stuff because I so well remember having nothing. Fortunately do know better than to ruin something trying to save a buck. Often have a hard time tossing food but once you have had food poisoning one time it gets FAR easier to toss out to critters anything I am not 110% sure of there :s0140:

This one actually gets good gas mileage...as long as you stay off the hammer. Scale weight of 2340 lbs and the Webers just sip along until you hit the main jets at 2000 rpm. But by the time you look over at the speedo in front of the passenger seat your doing 85 to 90 so who cares about mpg after that point.

View attachment 1864642
Thanks for posting. Now I get to explain to my wife why I have a hard on in the middle of the kitchen while looking at my phone.

View attachment 1864642
Is that a kit car or the real thing? Either way, she's beautiful.

You know what's annoying? The cash for clunkers progam did not really get rid of the vehicles most likely to be gas guzzlers.. the pickup trucks and SUVs. But they got rid of a lot of classic cars, pony cars, small cars... like the MOPAR K series, the 2 to 4 door bricks, the station wagons, and anything midsized up to like 1995 :mad:

Late edit.
I see way more old trucks and SUVs (1990s or older) than I see passenger cars from the same eras.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads