JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today, Mrs. Merkt was doing her volunteer work thing. So I headed north to visit gun shops. It was a clear, cool, sunny day with a beautiful blue sky. The birds were taking full advantage of it. Going north on I-5, I saw some of the biggest flocks of geese heading south that I'd ever seen. Around Mount Vernon, a swan flew over the road. In Burlington, a huge murder of crows was gleaning a pumpkin field. There were flocks of small birds frolicking and bathing in puddles.

A bird's life is a hard one, mostly. But they must have some moments of dimly comprehended joy.

Fun Facts about Geese. There's a lot going on with any animal that mates for life and mourns over the loss of young and/or mating partner. And the fact that other geese will drop out of the flock to help and protect a struggling goose. So yea, if they can feel pain, loss, sorrow, and perhaps loyalty, they can probably feel some level of joy too. :)

• As gostlings ducks and geese will bond with the first suitable moving stimulus, no matter if this is a goose, person or even an object. They remain dedicated to that person or object as their surrogate "parent" throughout their lives.
  • Geese are highly social animals. If they are raised around other livestock and fowl, they usually get along well with them.
  • Goose is actually the term for female geese, male geese are called ganders. A group of geese on land or in water are a gaggle, while in the air they are called a skein.
  • Geese eat seeds, nuts, grass, plants and berries.
  • They are the largest waterfowls, the other being swans. Though they are waterfowls, they spent most of their time on land.
  • Geese always fly in the shape of a 'V', as it allows at least 71 % greater flying range. When the goose in the lead gets tired, another goose takes over the position.
  • Geese are very loyal. They mate for life and are protective of their partners and offspring.
  • Geese express a mourning behavior when they lose their mating partner or their eggs.
  • They enjoy preening their feathers, foraging for food in the grass, and collecting twigs, bark, and leaves to use to make "home improvements" in their nests.
  • They have strong affections for others in their group. If a goose gets sick or is wounded, a couple of other geese may drop out of formation to help and protect him.

• Geese always fly in the shape of a 'V', as it allows at least 71 % greater flying range. When the goose in the lead gets tired, another goose takes over the position.
Yes, I read this somewhere not too long ago. There is a drafting effect, reducing air resistance for the following birds. Like following closely behind a large truck on the freeway.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews