JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's called the Constitution.. I guess some folks never bothered to read it

Blitzkrieg, I couldn't agree with you more. In a perfect world where the US Constitution and Bill of Rights were not open to interpretation, we wouldn't and shouldn't have to deal with any CCW permits at all. Unfortunately that is not the case right now so we have to work within and strive to change or improve the system we do have.

If HR 822 passes the US Senate and gets signed into law then maybe in a round about way we will move a step closer to the Second Amendments true meaning and intent. I don't believe it will make it all the way to law only due the current dud in the White House and his deep Anti-Second Amendment stance.

So back to our little piece of the pie called WA State. NICS exemption is a good thing for all of us. By being more inline with federal guidelines it will restrict our guns rights a little less than they currently are. That's good.

One other benefit that I would see coming out of this is change is that after all the old rule permits expire on 7/22/2016, after that date WA will have more reciprocity agreements with other states, and even without the agreement more states will allow reciprocity with WA permits since the NICS exemption status! It drops a lot of barriers to reciprocity. Be safe! -G

I am a strict constructionist so we'll have to agree to disagree. Compromises like this are what got us to where we are, now

Because in the interrim some animals will be more equal than others

Speaking of 'more equal': Anyone notice they changed the wording of a firearms purchase to 'pistols' in the bill? so that would make it seem (unless i'm confused which wouldn't surprise me ;) ) if you have the post-july 2011 CPL and this passes if you buy a pistol you can skip NICS (more equal), but if you buy a rifle you'd still need the NICS check (less equal)?

I may be off on this but I think it just brings the language inline with the CPL issued by Washington State. The Arizona laws say the same thing in regards to the background check exemption (pistol instead of firearm) but if you have an AZ Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) it is valid and used for the NICS exemption status for both handguns and long gun purchases.

I would bet when this is all said and done, that's the way it will be in WA also. Doing a NICS check on a CPL holder for a long gun purchase and not for a handgun purchase doesn't make any sense at all. Then again I guess I have seen stranger things come into law. We will have to wait and see. -G

I just checked up on the bill today out of curiosity to see how it was progressing and it seems like representative Hunter (no idea who this guy is ) is going for some sort of "equality" for all... by changing the wording to have a NICS check for EVERYONE (Pre- AND Post 7/22/11 CPL Holders) and basically bypassing the Nics-Alternative option all together.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Amendments/House/2471 AMH HUNT ADAM 079.pdf

Doesn't seem like that would be any different than what's currently in place, since even with your CPL you still go through the NICS check now... (heck even without a CPL you still get the nics check for a pistol purchase don't you?)

I just checked up on the bill today out of curiosity to see how it was progressing and it seems like representative Hunter (no idea who this guy is ) is going for some sort of "equality" for all... by changing the wording to have a NICS check for EVERYONE (Pre- AND Post 7/22/11 CPL Holders) and basically bypassing the Nics-Alternative option all together.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Amendments/House/2471 AMH HUNT ADAM 079.pdf

Doesn't seem like that would be any different than what's currently in place, since even with your CPL you still go through the NICS check now... (heck even without a CPL you still get the nics check for a pistol purchase don't you?)

That amendment isn't going to fly. It completely reverses the whole intent of the bill and more than likely won't have the support or votes to amend the bill. I looked on the WA Legislature website and this guy has a history of opposing or attempting to throw in additional restrictions on firearms related bills, he's definitely anti-gun. -G

That amendment isn't going to fly. It completely reverses the whole intent of the bill and more than likely won't have the support or votes to amend the bill. I looked on the WA Legislature website and this guy has a history of opposing or attempting to throw in additional restrictions on firearms related bills, he's definitely anti-gun. -G

And we move forward. Latest NRA post about this bill.

<broken link removed>

Passed overwhelmingly in its original form without the BS amendment presented by Rep. Hunter. Hopefully the parking lot bill legislation will do the same when its voted on. -G

And we move forward. Latest NRA post about this bill.

<broken link removed>

Passed overwhelmingly in its original form without the BS amendment presented by Rep. Hunter. Hopefully the parking lot bill legislation will do the same when its voted on. -G

Looks like this and a few other firearms bills are not going to proceed forward in this session. See link below for my posting of response from Sen Adam Kline as to why this wont be moving forward this session. -G

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/firearms-laws-and-questions.8602/

Oh this gets even better my friends! Senator Kline even posted a YouTube Video about why he killed these 2 (and I quote) "reasonable" gun bills. Gun show loophole debate. Watch his video at the link below. I'm going to respond to his response. Once again it's a matter of not understanding it's not a loophole. It's a private property sale between private parties, not an FFL. Same thing as selling a firearm in a newspaper listing or bulletin board listing.

None of us want firearms in the hands of people prohibited by law from possessing them. Sen. Kline thinks that his Gun Show Loophole Bill will stop them from getting a firearm somehow. -G

Sen. Kline talks about his decision to stop gun legislation - YouTube

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads